Deadline: January 7, 2019
Salary: $47,036.66 Annually
The Flagstaff Fire Department is currently hiring for SAFER Firefighter/EMT Candidates for the 2019 academy. The testing cutoff through NTN to be considered for this list is January 7, 2019. NTN test scores must have been taken after December 4, 2017 AND submitted to the City of Flagstaff through NTN within one year of the test date to be considered valid.
FFD will contact up to, the top 120 applicants based on their NTN Test scores to submit an application through the City of Flagstaff Human Resource division.
At this time the City of Flagstaff anticipates the need to hire two (2) SAFER Firefighters under the SAFER grant award received by the City of Flagstaff. The SAFER Firefighter positions were grant funded for three years but the City is intending to fund the positions after the grant expiration period. Successful candidates will start work by training in the eight (8) week joint Greater Flagstaff Region (GFR) Firefighter Academy.
Salary Information: $47,036.66 for a Firefighter / EMT
At the City of Flagstaff, all 36 paid paramedic slots are filled at this time. Any interested CEP would have to agree to work without paramedic pay until additional slots open up per FFD policy.http://flagstaff.az.gov/index.aspx?NID=2977
Department Overview: The Flagstaff Fire Department is a full time paid career agency who promotes progressive, professional thinking with an inclusive culture. As an organization we offer a number of challenging career opportunities and respond from six (6) strategically placed stations within the community. To achieve our mission of protecting life and property through mitigation and response, the 95 full-time commissioned fire and civilian personnel, along with numerous seasonal wildfire employees, utilize technical equipment and specialized training to protect values at risk. We provide true all– risk service including: Fire, EMS, Special Ops (Haz-Tech, TRT, Short Haul), SWAT CEP’s, Fire Investigation, Prevention and Wildfire mitigation.
Call Volume: In 2017, we responded to approximately 14,680 calls for service spread out over seven (7) units. We currently work a 48/96 shift schedule with three shifts (A, B, C) comprised of twenty-seven (27) commissioned fire personnel including a shift Battalion with a minimum staffing level of 21. This is a busy department so if that’s your pace we are a great fit.
Age : 18
US Citizen : Lawfully work in US
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
Vision : Must pass NFPA 1582 pre-employment physical and a MMPI psychological exam.
Valid ARIZONA State Driver’s License : Yes
Minimum Requirements :
Applicants not possessing these when submitting their applications to City of Flagstaff HR will not be considered.
- Valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or GED
- Firefighter I & II certification through a state, DOD or accredited agency (ex: OR, AZ, CA or IFSAC)
- National Registry/Arizona State EMT or Paramedic certification (at time of hire)
Military Preference: Must provide a valid Form DD214 or certification from Veteran’s Administration Office
Residency Requirements: Must live in the State of AZ by completion of academy
Driving Requirements: Must be eligible to drive on behalf of the city
Criminal Activity Disqualifiers: Candidates with any felony criminal convictions will be reviewed based on certification requirements and on a case by case basis.
Drug Use Disqualifiers: Illegal drug use per AZ and Federal law (pre-employment non-regulated drug and alcohol screening required)
Hiring Process and Timeline: :
The evaluation process for both the SAFER Firefighter and Firefighter evaluation process is the same and is described below. (*These numbers are based on the number of test scores received and are subject to change):
- The NTN written exam. The top one hundred twenty (120) * scores will be requested to send in applications.
- Matrix – based on application, education/training, relevant work history and life experience. The top eighty (80) * cumulative scores from the written and matrix will be offered to advance.
- Physical Agility – look at the video on the FFD site to see what this consists of (not the CPAT) and plan for being at 7000 feet. Scores are based on times (the less time it takes, the better your score). The top eighteen (18) * cumulative scores from all other portions plus your PAT will advance.
- Peer interview – Panel of FFD peer members giving an oral board style interview.
- Chiefs Interview – Top six (6) * will be given a Chiefs oral board.
- We will put an alternate list in place which will go through all background requirements listed below. Should someone be eliminated or drop out within the first ten (10) days of the structural portion of the academy the FFD reserves the right to offer that vacated position to the next individual on their alternate list.
- A pre-academy voluntary meeting (highly recommended) will be scheduled approximately on a Saturday several weeks prior to the academy start date. This is to get proper sizing for uniforms and PPE and give information to prepare recruits for the upcoming academy process.
* (This number is subject to change depending on need and applicant pool)
All applicants provided a conditional offer of employment must then successfully pass a background check, non-regulated drug and alcohol screening, medical examination and essential job functions exam by the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS) physician, Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, Substance Abuse Subtle Screening Inventory, Structure Interview for Fire Service Applicants, and provide record of tetanus and hepatitis A/B immunization.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.