Deadline: September 29, 2017
Salary: $3,856 Per Month
Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician
(3 Positions /Full Time/ Entry Level)
An Equal Opportunity Employer
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: August 28th, 2017
INFORMATIONAL MEETING: September 27th, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 29th, 2017
STARTING SALARY: $3,856 Monthly
The City of Hibbing is recruiting to fill three Firefighter/EMT positions. The city has been awarded a Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This grant period runs for 36 months starting in September of 2017. After the 36 month period the City of Hibbing will have the opportunity to decide whether to continue to support the Firefighter/EMT positions created by this grant.
– NFPA 1001 certification or IFSAC equivalent
– Certification with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians as an EMT, and the ability to be licensed as an EMT in the State of Minnesota
– Ability to obtain MN firefighter licensure
– High School Diploma or GED/HSED
– Valid CPR certification
– Valid driver’s license equivalent to Minnesota Class “D”
– Ability to pass all entry level testing and background check
– Current Candidate Physical Ability Test certification or ability to obtain Candidate Physical Ability Test certification within one year of employment
– There is no residency requirement for SAFER grant employees during the 36 month grant period.
Responds to emergencies and performs fire suppression activities, pre-hospital emergency medical care, inter-facility patient transports, search and rescue, damage control, and property preservation. This person performs with limited supervision tasks that are within departments Standard Operating Procedures as well as established patient care protocols. This person maintains a state of readiness of all facilities and equipment by scheduled inspections, testing, and maintenance. This person promotes health and safety of the department and community through training and education. This person performs other related work as directed.
Contractual Salary and Benefits
The City of Hibbing offers a generous salary and benefit package. All full time Firefighter/EMT’s are represented by IAFF Local 173 and its contract with the City of Hibbing.
Tentative Timeline (All tentative dates are subject to change)
8/28/17 Applications accepted
– Applications will be screened to insure minimum qualifications are met as they are received.
9/27/17 Applicant Information Session at Hibbing Fire Headquarters (2330 Brooklyn Drive Hibbing MN)
– All applicants are strongly encouraged to attend
– Spouses and significant others are welcome
9/29/17 Application Deadline
9/29/17 0800 Written Exam Lake Superior College ERTC (11501 Hwy 23, Duluth, MN 55808)
– Written Exam Reading Reference: Jones and Bartlett 3rd Edition Fundamentals of Firefighters Skills
– Current CPAT certification is preferred and will be available on this date. Applicants wishing to take the CPAT on this date must contact Lake Superior College ERTC to pre-register. Successful CPAT certification is preferred upon appointment, but is required within one year of employment.
Week of October 2nd, 2017 Oral Interviews
– Applicants invited for oral interviews will be contacted and notified of the specific date and time. Additional interviews may be required.
Week of October 16th, 2017 Conditional Job Offers
– The final candidates must successfully pass background, medical testing, psychological exam and drug test.
11/13/17 Tentative Start Date
Please submit the following with your completed application:
1. Copy of certificate of Completion- NFPA 1001 or equivalent
2. Copy of certificate- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician
3. Copy of- Valid Minnesota Class “D” driver’s license or equivalent
4. Copy of certificate- AHA CPR or equivalent
5. Application Cover Letter
6. Professional Resume
7. Any other valid applicable licenses or certifications
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.