Deadline: March 12, 2018
Salary: $48,821.00 – $75,110.00 Annually
We are looking for EMT’s who have at least 1 year of experience in a moderate to high call volume EMS system. Prerequisites include but are not limited to:
- 21 years of age or older
- Acceptable driving and criminal history
- National Registry EMT Certification or State of Colorado EMT Certification
- Basic Life Support
- CPAT Certification
Additionally, if you are a professional firefighter / EMT and currently work in for the fire service, we will consider a lateral transfer up to three years equivalent. For EMTs who do not have Colorado fire certifications or if your current certifications do not transfer, we will provide a fire academy for you to secure the required certifications.
The 2018 pay range for this position is $48,821 to $75,110. The hiring range is: $48,821.00 to $61,590.00. You may visit the Lafayette Fire Department website to learn more about the department.
The deadline for submitting completed applications and certifications is 3/12/2018. Applications will not be considered complete without accompanying certifications. Please only submit the requested certifications. If you have any questions you may contact Penny Ford with Human Resources at 303-661-1250.
Protect life and property through firefighting and EMS activities on an assigned shift, within the Lafayette Fire Department response area and automatic aid areas. Perform basic life support under the direct supervision of fire department paramedics and in accordance with department policies and procedures, and approved medical protocols and the Medical Director’s expectations. Perform task level firefighting operations as a team member within the Incident Management System to include, but not limited to: advancing fire hose, fire attack with hose streams, ventilation, rescue, extrication, salvage and overhaul. Active participation in fire and EMS responses, public education, fire code inspections, EMS and fire training, and physical fitness programs.
- Answers emergency and non-emergency alarms throughout Lafayette Fire Department’s response area and automatic aid areas and performs task level operations.
- Provides basic life support to the sick and injured under the supervision of department paramedics.
- Functions as a firefighter at the task level of IMS by advancing hose, fire attack with hose streams, ventilation, rescue, extrication, salvage, overhaul, etc.
- Inspects commercial structures within the fire departments fire code enforcement program.
- Conducts tours and PR on or off City property for interested groups or the public at large.
- Performs general maintenance work in the up-keep of department property.
- Ensures the response readiness of the assigned apparatus and its equipment.
- Ensures compliance with all City and fire department policies, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- When driving, ensures safe response while operating department apparatus, and positions the apparatus on responses to maximize safety and access to the scene.
- Communicates effectively within the IMS, conveying unusual conditions and/or dynamics of an incident.
- Maintains records of fire equipment and apparatus maintenance.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality, seamless customer service.
KNOWLEDGE: Perform modern firefighting and EMS principles, practices, and procedures. Understand and operate in the Incident Management System.
SKILL: Work cooperatively with supervisors, peers, other City employees and the public. Communicate orally with customers, clients, and the public in person, on the telephone, or electronically. Work safely and follow training directives.
ABILITY: Produce written documents in the English language with clearly organized thoughts, proper sentence construction, punctuation, and grammar. Operate assigned department apparatus, City computers and applicable software, training equipment, recording and photography equipment, etc. Learn job related material through structured lecture and reading, and through oral instruction and observation, which can take place in classroom settings and/or in an on-the-job setting. Ability to be subjected to physical exertion over prolonged periods of time which may include lifting heavy objects, climbing stairs and ladders. May be exposed to severe weather conditions, hazardous conditions to include heat and toxic elements, severely injured and ill patients, communicable and infectious diseases, etc. Must be tolerant of confined spaces, heights, and the restrictive conditions while wearing SCBA and other protective gear.
Required: High School diploma or equivalent; State of Colorado Firefighter I or equivalent, State of Colorado Hazardous Materials Operations, State of Colorado EMT-Basic, AHA CPR, Colorado Driver’s License with a safe driving record.
Preferred: State of Colorado Driver/Utility, Wild-land Red Card Certification, NIMS I-100, I-200, State of Colorado Firefighter II or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE: None, however, one year of experience working as an EMT/Firefighter is preferred.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.