Firefighter/EMT or Paramedic
Deadline: December 11, 2015
Salary: Starting annual salary $41,000 to $43,000
IF A CONDITIONAL OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT IS MADE, APPLICANT(S) MUST SUCCESSFULLY PASS A BACKGROUND SCREENING, PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TEST AND PHYSICAL (IF REQUIRED BY THE POSITION). ADDITIONAL TESTING IS REQUIRED FOR SPECIFIED POSITIONS AND POLICE DEPARTMENT APPLICANTS.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSTION, PRINT AND COMPLETE THE ATTACHED DOCUMENTS.Â FORWARD TO:
CITY OF GOOSE CREEK, ATTN: HUMAN RESOURCES, P. O. DRAWER 1768, GOOSE CREEK, SC 29445 OR firstname.lastname@example.org
RESUMES ARE ENCOURAGED BUT WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED WITHOUT A COMPLETED APPLICATION.Â Â
COPIES OF EMT or PARAMEDIC AND FIREFIGHTING CERTIFICATIONS MUST BEÂ SUBMITTED WITH APPLICATION IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THEÂ POSITION.
JOB SUMMARY: Position responsible for performing fire suppression, providing advanced patient care and managing various medical incidents.
SAFETY: Employee responsible for adhering to all safety procedures and regulations established by the Department, the City and all State and Federal organizations. Any safety concern should be reported to a supervisor immediately.
- Provides leadership during medical/trauma calls by controlling the scene, directing EMTâ€™s and making transport decisions.
- Mitigates emergency situations dealing with fires, hazardous materials, rescues and emergency medical incidents and resolves non-emergency incidents.
- Maintains equipment on medic unit, to include pre-hospital drugs. Ensures all ACLS medication is on board and expiration dates have been checked.
- Conducts daily check-offs of all apparatus. Reports any faulty equipment.
- Ensures that the station is kept in an orderly fashion and that station apparatus and equipment are properly checked and kept in good working orders.
- Updates fire pre-plans and creates and updates maps for all City departments and other outside municipal aid departments.
- Gives instruction to the general public regarding Fire Prevention and safety.
- Attends training to include, driving, rescue tool uses and other training to keep informed about new techniques.
- Assists with community projects and events. \
- Performs fire hydrant updates twice a year. Conducts flushing and hose testing yearly.
- Maintains cleanliness of station.
- Provides yard maintenance at the station.
- Completes reports on EMS and fire calls, training, hydrant and hose tests.
- May teach CPR, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS).
- Serves as back up to co-workers.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Ability to make quick and precise decisions.
- Ability to perform rescue of individuals trapped in vehicles using the Jaws of Life extrication equipment.
- Ability to operate Cascade Air filling system, pump operations, gas and battery powered saws, aerial ladders, SCBA, Gas monitoring devices, torches, AED, intubation equipment, backboards, splints, C-spine equipment and light tower.
- Ability to conduct life saving procedures, incident stabilization and property conservation at all incidents.
- Ability to operate fire apparatus, fire pumps, hoses, nozzles, hand tools, gas powered tools, ladders, fans, extrication equipment, ropes, rigging equipment, gas monitors lighting, medical equipment and computers.
- Knowledge of the geographic layout of the City.
- Ability to pass an annual physical and obtain OSHA required fire brigade clearance.
- Ability to use computers and various software programs, to include Word and Excel.
- Ability to work under pressure, to include dangerous situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions, requiring employee to use judgment. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and accuracy, and may verify final results. Employee required to use judgment.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the Standard Operating Procedures, training manuals, applicable state and federal guidelines and City policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied fire suppression and advanced patient care. The need to respond to emergency and life-threatening situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to provide fire suppression and ACLS patient care for the citizens in the City. Successful performance ensures the safety of life and property in the City.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, law enforcement, other emergency personnel, hospital personnel and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, and to motivate or influence persons.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity and must be able to distinguish between shades of color.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in the field during emergency situations. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, contagious or infectious diseases, irritating chemicals, inclement weather conditions, fire, heat and toxic gases. The work requires the use of protective devices, such as masks, goggles or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: Supervision of EMTâ€™s in the field.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be a certified paramedic.
Minimum three years experience in Firefighting and Emergency Medical Services.
- Must be a South Carolina State or nationally registered paramedic. â€¢ A ten year driving history record must be included with your application.
A valid SC Class E Driver’s License required
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.