Firefighter/EMT or Paramedic
Deadline: December 7, 2016
Under occasional supervision, performs fire suppression duties and provides emergency medical treatment at the EMT level on assigned shift. Performs duties in accordance with all established policies, procedures and medical protocol. Maintains and prepares required records and reports. Participates in training, fire prevention and education programs as required. Reports to the Lieutenant.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to emergency fire, medical, hazardous material, auto accident and other emergencies.
- Performs fire suppression duties to protect the lives and property of those in need of assistance.
- Responds to emergency medical calls, providing basic life support treatment to patients as well as transportation to appropriate medical facilities. Obtains patient medical history if possible; assesses physical condition of patients and assists in making decisions regarding proper courses of action. Performs such duties as CPR, splint application, wound treatment, control of bleeding, monitoring and relaying of vital signs, oxygen administration and sterile suctioning. Performs extrication of victims from wreckage as necessary.
- Maintains radio communications with dispatch center, hospital personnel and other public safety agencies to receive and to transmit instructions involving patient care. Provides instructions to first responders and bystanders in the use of first aid equipment. Determines the need for back-up assistance.
- Completes required records and forms documenting patient treatment.
- Responds to requests for emergency rescue, hazardous materials spills, environmental emergencies, etc.
- Performs all duties in accordance with established medical protocol, policies and procedures.
- Assists with the inspection and maintenance of emergency vehicles and the performing of daily supply and equipment inventory; restocks equipment in preparation for subsequent medical responses and shifts.
- Participates in general fire prevention, public education and public relations efforts, including making presentations to various groups and conducting station tours.
- Participates in employee training programs.
- Keeps abreast of new technology, methods and regulations for equipment operations, fire prevention and suppression operations, EMS operations, etc.; attends meetings, conferences and continuing education classes as required and/or appropriate.
- Remains on call 24 hours per day for emergencies.
- Prepares a variety of reports and records.
- Operates a vehicle, ambulance and fire engine, and operates/uses all fire suppression equipment, hand and power tools, self-contained breathing apparatus, generators, rescue equipment and protective gear, signaling devices, siren, camera, leak detectors, thermal imaging camera, heat detectors, extrication devices, life-saving/ life supporting equipment, medical instruments and supplies. Operates various office machines including a computer, two-way radio, telephone, etc.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Performs station maintenance duties, including housekeeping and minor repairs. Cleans equipment and vehicles.
Collects and properly disposes of hazardous waste materials.
Prepares pre-fire plans. Tests and maintains hydrants, pumps and hoses. Orders and inventories station supplies.
Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Education and Training
Florida Minimum Fire Standards, Florida EMTVG, EVOC, HealthCare CPR and ACLS; Current FL Driverâ€™s License; Complete ( not 3 or 7) Driving Record (ran within the last 30 days)- available at the Department of Motor Vehicles; High School Diploma or GED, IS-100.b (ICS 100) Introduction to Incident Command System and IS-700.a National Incident Management System (NIMS) (http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp). Proof of all current requirements must be submitted with application.
Requires a vocational/technical diploma supplemented by one to two years of experience and training in fire service / EMS programs, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Must complete required coursework and maintain state certifications, including Firefighter, Emergency Vehicle Operator, and EMT certifications.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.