Firefighter/EMT or Paramedic
Deadline: June 30, 2017
Salary: $41,595 Annually
Applicants must be at least 18 years old, not more than 35 and must hold a valid driver’s license. No city residency requirement.
- Notice of Application
- Application– Must be returned in person with $50.00 fee
- Written Examination- time and place will be announced when application is returned
- Entry level firefighter study guides are available for purchase online at www.publicsafetycompass.com
- Minimum passing score is 90% for FF/EMT- The top 75 applicants and all veterans with a passing score will move forward to the physical ability test.
- All FF/Paramedic candidates will move forward to the physical ability test.
- Notification of physical ability test and background questionnaire (must be notarized)
- Pre-physical ability test medical physical (at applicants expense)
- Physical Ability Test (hotlink to website page)
- Notification and performance of oral interviews
- Oral Interviews
- Must obtain a passing score of 70%
- Veterans Preference
- 10 additional points are added to the final test score to all Honorably Discharged veterans or those members still in service who have served at least 180 consecutive days of Active Duty. (requires a DD-214 as proof of service)
- City Residency Preference
- 5 additional points are added to the final test score to all City of Reading residents (required 1 year of residency prior to application) who complete the testing process. (Must provide proof utility bill, paystub, or tax form to claim residency points)
- Civil Service List Certification
- Conditional offers of employment (based on the needs of the Department)
- Medical Examination
- Provided by a physician contracted by the Department
- Background Check (Misdemeanor and Felony records are grounds for termination of offer)
- Fingerprint verified FBI Criminal History, PA Child Abuse Clearance, Driving Record
- All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of all required tests and a resolution by City Council
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.