Deadline: April 14, 2018
Salary: $36,328.00 Annually
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ONLY WAY TO APPLY FOR FIREFIGHTER/EMT IS THROUGH NATIONAL TESTING NETWORK AT WWW.NATIONALTESTINGNETWORK.COM. THANK YOU!
Functions as a Firefighter/Emergency Medical Technician providing fire and rescue service to control and extinguish fires, save lives, protect property, maintain equipment, and promote public fire safety education in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities
Fire Suppression Narrative: (Not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties may be assigned.)
- While using the appropriate protective equipment, responds to fire alarms and other emergency or service calls on an assigned shift; lifts, carries, drags, lays, and connects hose lines and appliances, operates nozzles and directs fog and water streams; operates a water pressure pump; uses self-contained breathing apparatus, extinguisher, bars, hooks, rope lines and other emergency equipment as necessary.
- Helps raise and climb ladders and makes forcible entry into burning buildings when necessary, makes openings in buildings and other structures for ventilation to dissipate smoke and gasses and to facilitate safe and effective fire fighting.
- Performs salvage operations at scenes of fire, such as covering furniture with salvage covers and using chemical absorbent, brooms, mops, shovels and other similar equipment.
- Performs overhauling operations to ensure that the fire is completely extinguished and that no hazards (such as walls or other structures that are in danger of falling) remain at the scene of the fire.
- Replaces broken or ruptured sprinkler heads to prevent unnecessary water damage.
- Performs rescues from burning buildings and other hazardous sites by extricating and carrying victims using ropes, ladders, stairways or any other applicable devices.
- Supports basic life support unit operations.
- Emergency Medical Services Narrative: (Not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties may be assigned.)
- While using the appropriate protective equipment, responds to emergency incidents with fire companies as assigned to assist in fire suppression related activities. Helps to lift and carry hydraulic jacks, air compressors, stretchers and other emergency equipment; performs rescues from hazardous sites employing ropes, ladders, stairways, or any other applicable devices.
- Provides efficient and immediate emergency care to the ill and injured at the scene of an incident unless turned over to a licensed transport agency with equal or higher medical authority or patient care is assumed by a higher medical authority.
- Reports vital patient information regarding care and condition to medical personnel receiving patient transfer.
- Operates emergency care equipment.
- Monitors health, safety and physical conditions of all ill, injured or possibly injured personnel at fire or other hazardous incidents.
- Supports basic life support unit operations.
- Meets attendance requirements.
- Promotes a consumer friendly environment within the department.
Marginal Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- May periodically drive and/or operate emergency vehicles.
- May assume the duties and responsibilities of a Driver Engineer in the absence of a Driver Engineer as required.
- Represents the City at various community activities.
- Educates the public regarding fire safety and the operation of the Fire Department.
High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent
Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance
Valid State of Florida Emergency Medical Technician Certificate
Valid State of Florida drivers’ license, Class E
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Skills and Abilities :
Knowledge of department rules and regulations applying to Firefighter/EMT positions.
Knowledge of the principles and practices of firefighting operations, including size-up, rescue, ventilation, salvage and overall knowledge of geography of assigned district, location of streets, buildings and existing physical condition of same.
Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations relating to fire control and prevention.
Ability to understand and carry out verbal instructions promptly and effectively under varied and difficult conditions.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, superiors, and the general public.
Ability to learn firefighting and basic life support emergency care evolutions, techniques and methods, and to apply such information to specific situations.
Ability to read and interpret laws, policies, rules, regulations, procedures, instructions and written material related to the operation of the Ormond Beach Fire Department.
Ability to carry out effective courses of action, giving due regard to the surrounding hazards and circumstances.
Ability to think clearly and act quickly, calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Ability to make minor equipment adjustments and repairs under supervision.
Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with and speak clearly and distinctly to the public and other employees.
Ability to maintain files and records as directed.
Mechanical aptitude, physical agility and manual dexterity.Additional Information
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must be able to lift and/or move 100 pounds or more.
The employee must be able to meet job demands under emergency and/or strenuous and prolonged situations.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts; in high precarious places; and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and extreme heat.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.