Deadline: September 3, 2018
Salary: $36,795.20 Annually
Lynchburg Firefighter/EMT’s perform protective service work involving a variety of emergency services and general tasks by performing the essential duties and responsibilities below.
What are the 8 steps to FIRE up your new career?
- Online Application
- Written Examination – August & September 2018 (study materials available here http://recruitment.iosolutions.com/Preparation-Materials/NFSI2/)
- Complete Personal History Statement
- Oral Interview Board – October 2018
- Extensive Background Check
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Medical/Mental Health Exam
- Final Offer of Employment & Enter Recruit Academy (January 2019 – June 2019)
* Firefighter/EMT’s receive a 5% pay increase upon completion of the academy *
OR call 434-455-HIRE
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Responds to emergency calls including determination of illness or injury, proper treatment and transportation of patients;
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of all emergency equipment;
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of the principles of anatomy and physiology of the human body;
• Demonstrates ability to learn and navigate the street system and physical layout of the City of Lynchburg;
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of technical firefighting principles and techniques;
• Demonstrates basic knowledge of the principles of hydraulics as applied to fire suppression;
• Establishes and maintains cooperative relationships with patients and co-workers;
• Operates emergency vehicles safely;
• Keeps simple records and prepares required reports;
• Successfully completes the recruit academy in accordance with the guidelines established by the Training Division and as outlined in the Academy Student Manual;
• When unusual situations occur and/or the City Manager declares a State of Emergency, all City employees may be required to accept special assignments and perform as needed to ensure appropriate service delivery.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Education and Experience Required:QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
High School Diploma or GED required.
Applicants must be 21 years of age by January 1, 2019.
EMT-Paramedic or EMT-Basic preferred, but not required.
Additional Requirements:• Possession of valid driver’s license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and acceptable driving record according to City criteria;
• No DUI or drug related convictions, or VASAP attendance within 5 years of application for employment;
• Ability to successfully complete or have completed the following courses:
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Firefighter I
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Firefighter II
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Hazardous Material Awareness/Operations
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Emergency Vehicle Operators Course
- Virginia Department of Fire Programs Mayday !!! Firefighter Down
- American Heart Association CPR for Healthcare Providers
- National Fire Academy ICS-100: Introduction to ICS for Operational First Responders
- National Fire Academy ICS-200: Basic NIMS ICS for Operational First Responders
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute IS-700.a: National Incident Management Systems (NIMS), An Introduction.
- FEMA Emergency Management Institute IS-800b: National Response Framework, An Introduction.
- National Registry EMT-Basic
- Advanced Life Support
- Other courses as determined by the Training Division.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.