Deadline: August 13, 2018
Salary: $9.22 Per Hour
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Firefighter Emergency Medical Technician Trainee will undergo a systematic, progressively complex on-the-job training program performing those functions related to the extinguishment of fire and the emergency medical service and rescue practices that may be directly involved with hazardous areas and problems. Trainees must be able to obtain and maintain a Michigan Department Public Health Emergency Medical Technician License within one (1) year of appointment. Firefighter Emergency Medical Technician Trainee progresses to the rank of Firefighter based on successful completion of on-the-job performance and subject to manpower requirements in the Firefighting Division.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the supervision of the Fire Officers during on-the-job hours and under the Fire Training Officer or Assistant Training Officer and Medical Coordinator for Special Training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responds with Fire Apparatus to all emergency medical alarms or other assignments as required.
- Participates in all EMS work and training programs as assigned and as required to obtain and maintain valid Michigan Department of Public Health Emergency Medical Technician license.
- Performs duties as necessary in putting EMS equipment back in service after emergency medical or other calls, and will keep equipment and equipment area clean and totally equipped at all times.
- Assists in getting rigs back in service at the fire station after an emergency run. (i.e., loads hose, fills Scott tanks, etc.)
- Rides fire apparatus to emergency alarms and other assignments.
- Assigned to training programs in all phases of Fire Department work, fire suppression and prevention.
- Stand regular house watch for receiving fire or other emergency alarms and dispatching apparatus at the Fire Station.
- Studies and learns Rules and Regulations of the Fire Department.
- Participates in public information programs.
- Learns teamwork and importance of being a member of the team.
- Assists in cleaning fire trucks and firefighting equipment, as well as hose testing.
- Assists in station cleaning; i.e., floor mopping, sweeping, dusting, window washing, yard work, etc.
- Represents Fire Department at all times in manner of dress and speech with emphasis given to creating a good public image with the citizens of Flint.
- Assigned related duties by superior officers as required.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Education equivalent to completion of high school.
- 18 years of age (individuals can apply who are within six months of the minimum age on the date of
the examination. They may compete in the examination but may not be appointed to a position in the
classified service prior to the attainment of the minimum age.)
- Must pass written and physical aptitude tests designed as to elicit information regarding qualification
as to ability to perform duties of Firefighter Emergency Medical Technician Trainee & Firefighter.
- Must be able to pass medical examination.
- Must be able and willing to work effectively with fellow employees, supervisory and administrative
employees, and the general public.
- Aptitude for mechanical work.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT(S):
- Hearing must be normal in each ear without a hearing aid.
- Vision must be 20/40 correctable to 20/20 with glasses.
- Normal color vision.
- Must have normal depth perception.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Michigan Driver’s License at time of appointment.
- Personal record such as to withstand rigid criminal investigation and character evaluation.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit; walk; talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; taste or smell. The employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electric shock and vibration.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, except during certain Fire-fighting or EMT activities when noise levels may be loud.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.