Deadline: Until 175 Applications are Accepted
Salary: $1,077.83 – $1,100.00 Biweekly
CITY OF HOUSTON
EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT FOR
THE POSITION OF
PN # 19092 CERTIFIED FIREFIGHTER & EMT TRAINEE
HOUSTON FIRE DEPARTMENT
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ELIGIBILITY TO TAKE EXAM:
Certified Firefighter & EMT Basic or Higher: Must possess an active Texas Commission on Fire Protection State Fire Fighters Certification Basic or higher AND an Active Texas Department of State Health Services Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification Basic or higher. A passing grade for the National Registry will satisfy this requirement. Applicant must meet the above requirements by March 28, 2018.
All certified applicants must have a High School Diploma or a General Equivalency Diploma (GED), and 15 transferable college credit hours with a grade of “C” or better from an accredited college or university. No course completion certificates will be accepted.
The exam will be open to candidates, who have made a proper application and have met the requirements of Chapter 143 of the Local Government Code for beginning positions in the Fire Department, which are listed in the Fire Application.
APPLICATION TO TAKE EXAM:
DATE AND TIME OF EXAMINATION:
Bring your driver’s license or other photo ID.
- Participates in classroom lectures, seminars and practical training sessions as directed by the Houston Fire Department.
- Receives and participates in various types of training in fire suppression and emergency medical services up to and including paramedic certification.
- Participates in drills, demonstrations and instruction in hydraulics, pump operation, maintenance, fire suppression, rescue and emergency medical services.
2. Per Chapter 143.025 of the Tex. Loc. Gov’t Code, an additional five points shall be added to the examination grade of an applicant who served in the United States armed forces, received an honorable discharge, and made a passing grade on the examination. Applicants who are eligible for extra military points must scan and attach a copy of their DD214 (Member-4) to their electronic application or send a copy to HFDCST@houstontx.gov. The last day to submit a DD214 is March 16, 2018. NO DD214s will be accepted at the test site.
3. Texas Commission of Fire Protection State Fire Fighters Certification and Texas Department of State Health Services Emergency Medical Technician Certification(s) will be subject to verification by the Human Resources Department.
4. Texas Department of State Health Services Emergency Medical Technicians Certification as a Paramedic will be subject to verification by the Human Resources Department.
5. An applicant may not take the examination for a particular eligibility list more than once.
6. The eligibility list created as a result of this examination will be effective for a period of not less than 6 months or more than 12 months as determined by the Civil Service Commission.
7. Passing applicants will be referred to the Human Resources Department Classified Recruiting section to continue processing. Any falsification in the application process will result in disqualification. Applicants must pass all phases of the hiring process.
8. Applicants’ eligibility for hiring will be determined in rank order from the eligibility list.