Deadline: August 18, 2017
Salary: $38,325 Annually
The Newport News Fire Department is comprised of dual-role personnel. As such, Firefighter-Medics rotate their emergency response duties between ambulance and fire apparatuses. Due to their dual-role responsibilities, once hired, Recruits are required to successfully graduate from two (2) separate structured Recruit training programs designed to maximize their dual-role capabilities:
- Successful graduation from the Tidewater Regional Fire Academy (TRFA)
- A fast paced, college-level Emergency Medical Services course culminating in achieving National Registry as an EMT-Intermediate
Recruits are compensated during training in extensive fire and emergency medical academies. Upon completion of Fire and EMS programs, Firefighter/Medics will earn a competitive salary while averaging ten (10) working days per month.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or legally eligible to be employed.
- Must agree to sign a No Tobacco Use agreement, which prevents an individual from using any tobacco products at any time, on or off the job, while employed by the City.
- Fire/EMS related certifications are preferred but are not required.
- Prior military service with an honorable discharge is preferred but not required.
Make sure to follow these important steps required to complete your application.
- Complete the joint job application and indicate interest with Hampton, Newport News, or both.
- Complete the Self Identification Section.
- Register for the written exam after you finish the self identification section.
- Print off the Candidate Background Information Packet and complete prior to your written exam date.
- Turn in the completed Candidate Background Information Packet on the day of your scheduled written exam date.
- On the day of the written exam, you will receive the day/time of the Physical Abilities Test (PAT).
- Upon successful completion of the PAT, you will be notified of the SOP/CPS date and time.
- If applicable, candidate may be scheduled for panel interviews.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.