Deadline: September 30, 2017
Salary: $22.97 – $28.99 Hourly
The City of Salem is accepting applications for the position of Firefighter-Medic. Anyone with a desire to pursue a challenging and rewarding career in the Fire Service is encouraged to apply.
The Salem Fire Department is seeking self-motivated, professional Firefighter/Paramedics to become a part of our organization. Fire experience is not required, new Paramedics as well as experienced Firefighter/Paramedics are encouraged to apply. Posted pay rate includes 9% EMT-P additional premium pay per hour.
What are the minimum qualifications?
Valid Oregon class C driver’s license or other state equivalent, AND
- Current certification as an Oregon Paramedic, OR
- National Registry certification as a Paramedic and the ability to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity.
The Oregon State Health Authority determines equivalencies; you can contact them at (971) 673-1222. Minimum licensure requirements for Oregon Paramedic can be found at this link: Oregon Reciprocity Information(Download PDF reader). Applicants are responsible to obtain forms or information from this agency. Please start this process as early as possible.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for the Firefighter-Medic where the class specification is posted in its entirety.
How can I apply?
Click on the “Apply” button at the top of this announcement and complete your application.
- Submit a City of Salem job application on City’s website, attach your resume, 5 year-court certified driving record obtained from DMV, and current Paramedic certification by the close date.
- Complete the FireTEAM written examination administered by National Testing Network (NTN) test must be taken and completed by the time of submission of application. Register and take the test by clicking here. The candidate must indicate Salem Fire Department as a point of application with NTN.
- Submit documentation of successful CPAT testing. Register and the test by clicking here. For candidates residing in a state that does not have a National Testing Network location near them, please contact HR at (503) 589-2074 or (503) 589-2076 to discuss special accommodations for the testing and CPAT requirements. CPAT test must not be older than 6 months at time of application.
- Complete and submit a Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ). You can access the questionnaire through your candidate account on NTN. PHQ must be completed by the time of application.
Selection plan includes:
- FireTEAM written examination and CPAT test from NTN
- Review of job application and completeness of all documentation required in the announcement
- Interviews and Paramedic skills evaluation
- Chief’s interview
- Finalists who successfully complete the selection process will, after a conditional job offer, go through an extensive background investigation, medical and psychological assessment and drug testing. City of Salem is a drug free workplace, including marijuana.
This recruitment is open until September 30, 2017. A monthly review of submitted applications is scheduled. Departmental testing will be held in the Fall of 2017
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.