Deadline: March 1, 2019
Salary: $61,875.78 Annually
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST MEET ONE(1) OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS:
A. Certified as a State of Florida Firefighter AND Certified as a State of Florida Paramedic* OR
**If you meet either Requirement B or C from above, in addition to attaching a copy of the certification that you DO possess; you will be required to provide documentation from the school that you are attending indicating your anticipated graduation date. This documentation must be on school letterhead and included in your application. Dual certification in both Firefighter AND Paramedic is required before the extension of an employment offer will be made.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING ONE (1) OF THE ABOVE; CANDIDATES MUST ALSO:
A. Take the CPAT from a certified agency as approved by the IAFF. The CPAT (Candidate Physical Agilities Test) is valid for one (1) year. The City of Boca Raton only accepts CPAT results from Palm Beach State College or the National Testing Network.
B. Possess a valid CPR for Professional Rescuer Certification from American Red Cross or BLS for the Healthcare Provider Certification from American Heart Association
C. Possess a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
- Failure to provide copies of all documentation will result in your application not being forwarded for consideration.
- After it has been determined that you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be required to complete the Firefighter/Paramedic Background Packet. This packet will be e-mailed to candidates following a review of their application.
ABOUT THE FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC APPLICATION PROCESS:
Applicants who qualify will be subject to an extensive selection process and screening program, which may include, but not be limited to evaluation of training and experience; written test; EMS Exam; Fire Exam, swim test, interview; polygraph examination; psychological evaluation; employment record review, fingerprint and background check including complete driving record history; medical examination; and drug screen.
company officer. Work is performed under the guidance of the departmental medical
protocols, rules, regulations, standard operating procedures (SOPs), and/or standard
operating guidelines (SOGs).
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency incidents
- Performs fire suppression activities
- Operates hoses lines
- Performs ventilation activities
- Operates fire extinguishers
- Administers medical treatment
- Performs salvage operations
- Operates emergency vehicles
- Performs cleaning and maintenance of departmental buildings and apparatus
- Performs hydrant testing
- Performs building and area surveys
- Participates in training evolutions scheduled by the Training and Safety Section
- Inspects equipment, tools, and apparatus; reports maintenance issues through the chain of command
- Shall be expected to perform advanced medical delivery skills as defined by the current medical protocols
- Must be a State of Florida Certified Firefighter and perform the illustrated duties as outlined in NFPA 1001 for Firefighter I and II
- Must be a State of Florida certified Paramedic and perform the duties and responsibilities as outlined in Florida State Statute and Florida Administrative Code
- Knowledge of street locations, geography and types of construction within the City of Boca Raton
- Knowledge of the various types of fire hazards in the city
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
- Ability to perform work under adverse conditions
- Knowledge of laws, regulations and local ordinances that regulate the delivery of emergency services
- Knowledge of the local hospital system and their specialties
- Knowledge of the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
- Knowledge of the mass causality incident management system (MCI)
- Knowledge of department mutual aid procedures, medical protocols, SOPs, SOGs,
- TAPIRS and the collective bargaining agreement
- Effective written and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer knowledge – email, internet and word processing skills
- Knowledge of modern firefighting principles, practices and procedures
- Knowledge of hose streams and water flow calculations
- Knowledge and skills in the operation and maintenance of various types of apparatus and equipment used in firefighting activities
- Requisite knowledge and skills of emergency medical principles
- Must be a State of Florida Certified Firefighter
- Must be a State of Florida Certified Paramedic
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a diploma from high school or equivalency
- Must have completed IS-700 National Incident Management System (NIMS) An Introduction
- Must have completed IS-800 National Response Framework, An Introduction
- Must have completed IS-100 Introduction to Incident Command System
- Must have completed IS-200 ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
be allowed in its place. A substitute course list will be provided by the Fire Chief or his/her
- Must comply with the current Edition of NFPA 1582 Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments
- Exceptions: NFPA 1582 shall not apply where it is in conflict with the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and/or in Conflict with any Federal or State Laws or Regulations
- Must possess a valid State of Florida Driver’s license
- Effective for all employees hired on or after 10/01/1990: The employee must not use any form of tobacco for at least one (1) year prior to application, and agree to remain tobacco free on and off duty during employment/application process and for the duration of their employment with the City of Boca Raton.
- All firefighters shall abstain from the use of electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes) at all times during the period of employment with the City while both on and off duty.
Any visible tattoos while in uniform must be covered.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate in English
- Must be able to interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone, radio and personal contact
- Must be able to see, read, speak, hear, handle or feel objects and controls
- Physically capable to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to telephones, mobile/portable radios, personal computers, calculators, copy machines, and fax machines
- Must have the physical capability to bend, stoop, stretch, climb (including ladders), and crawl into confined spaces while wearing protective clothing and equipment
- Must have the ability to perform tasks requiring balance, motor-coordination and dexterity
- Must have correct color vision and depth perception
- Must successfully pass The Candidate Physical Ability Test© based on the current edition of The Fire Service Joint Labor Management Wellness-Fitness Initiative
- Must have ability to complete a swim test within the first year of employment
- Must be able to wear/use a hard hat/helmet, face-shield, safety glasses, goggles, safety belt, respirator, self-contained breathing apparatus, safety shoes/boots, coveralls, gloves, bunker gear, and other body substance isolation gear (BSI)
- Must be able to endure exposure to extreme temperatures and weather conditions.
- Must be able to work safely around energized electrical equipment, heights, noise, moving mechanical parts, confined spaces, vibration, radiation, dust, vapors, fumes, toxic metals, sensitizers, poisons, animals/insects, mist, gases, smoke, irritants, asphyxiants, and blood-borne pathogens utilizing necessary safety equipment.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.