Deadline: August 16, 2018
Salary: $41,121.46 Annually
Firefighter/Paramedic Application Process
Bourbonnais Fire Protection District, Bourbonnais, Illinois
The Bourbonnais Fire Protection District Board of Fire Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $41,121.46 (starting pay, plus health, dental, life insurance, vacation, and sick time, and pension plan). A 2.5% pay increase will be provided in 2019 and 2020
Population: 18,631 (as of 2010 census)
Sworn Personnel: 42*
*Current shift staffing: 7 per shift (1 career Lieutenant, 2 career firefighter/paramedics, 2 contract firefighter/paramedics, 2 part-time firefighter/paramedic or EMT-B).
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District:
• U.S. citizenship or an alien admitted for permanent residence* *must submit proof of permanent resident (green) card;
• No felony convictions;
• High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
• Valid Illinois driver’s license (will be required proof of identification at all phases of testing);
• At least 21 years of age at time of hire AND must be UNDER 35 years of age on the application deadline date (August 16, 2018)*
o Unless otherwise exempt by State or Federal law; Such maximum age limitation shall not apply in the case of 1) any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (ii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district, or 2) any person who has served the fire district as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the 5 years immediately preceding the time that the district begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service. Furthermore, to qualify for either of these exceptions set forth above, the applicant shall have been actively working as a firefighter within 2 years of the date of his/her application to this District. Proof of date of birth will be required at the time of application (References: 70 ILCS 705/16.06b; 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6);
• Must be a certified Basic Operations Firefighter through the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal at time of application;
• Must have a valid Medical Technician-Paramedic certification issued through the State of Illinois Department of Public Health prior to offer of employment;
• Must successfully test into the Presence/St. Mary’s Kankakee EMS System prior to offer of employment;
• Attend a mandatory orientation, written exam, and physical ability testing on Saturday, August 25, 2018;
• Must meet the requirements of a background check and pass a medical, and psychological test;
• $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
• Application deadline is Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 4:00 PM (CST).
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Bourbonnais Fire Protection District for the following:
• Military Veterans
• Fire Service Experience
To apply for this position or obtain additional information,
please visit the following website:
The Bourbonnais Fire Protection District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This organization is committed to the policy of equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. Your job related experience and other qualifications will be considered without discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or physical or mental handicap. All information provided in this application will be treated confidentially, and will be used only to help assure the best use of your abilities if you are employed with the District.