Deadline: June 18, 2016
Salary: $42,308.00 Annually
The City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability, marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services
The City will not consider applicants who have used tobacco products for a period of at leastÂ oneÂ yearÂ prior to application for employment. The definition of “tobacco products” shall include, but is not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, pipes and snuff.
Skilled technical work in the field of fire suppression, prevention and emergency medical services.Â Fulfill duties of employment as outlined in the CBA. Work is performed under the general direction of a Captain.
IMPORTANT:Â To download the Applicant Affidavit packet pleaseÂ CLICKHEREÂ . This packet includes four (4) documents that will need to be completed, notarized and submitted with your online application. Your application WILL BE REJECTED if all four (4) required documents are not attached with your application. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to edit anything or submit paperwork in person.Â
Essential Job Duties:
- Lay, connect and place hose line in operation. Raise and climb ladders.Â Enter building and other fire involved areas.Â Use extinguisher, bars, hooks, lines, axes, and other hand equipment.Â Ventilate burning buildings and structures.Â Throws salvage covers and remove debris.
- Assist with delivery of emergency medical services and particiÂpates in rescue operations by carrying individuals from danger.
- Make regular inspections of apparatus and equipment and notify supervisor of defects.Â Assist Driver-Engineer with routine maintenance and apparatus checkout as required. Ensure apparatus and equipment is in a constant state of operational readiness.
- Make visual and physical fire inspections of buildings to locate fire hazards.
- Attend and participate in drills and training sessions.
- Follow published department EMS Protocols, SOG’s and administer basic life support to patients.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed.Â Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of the positions of fire fighter and driver engineer and the skills to perform the duties of each.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of the geography of the City with respect to streets, hydrants and building access information.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of the location and layout of all high risk and special hazard occupancies, and the problems encountered with each.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of the strategy and tactics of handling fire, rescue and medical emergencies and the ability to analyze and respond effectively under stress to each.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of the record management system in use, the components of the system, and the functions of each.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of paramedic principles, practices and techniques and how they are used in medical emergency operations.
â€¢Â Â Knowledge of and adherence to City, Department and Division’s policies, rules and regulations, SOG’s and protocols.
â€¢Â Â Ability to perform essential job functions effectively.
- High school diploma or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma.Â Must be 18 years or older.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- State of Florida Paramedic Certification.
- State of Florida Firefighter Certification
- State of Florida Class E Drivers License
- State of Florida Bureau of EMS recognized Emergency Vehicle Operators Course. (EVOC)
- Current CPAT/PAT – applicants must have completed the CPAT/PATÂ no longer than six months prior to the interview date
-Â Â Meet physical requirements as indicated for State certification.
-Â Â Must endure sustained acts of physical exhaustion and endure periods of duty
under unfavorable and life threatening situations.
-Â Â Driving heavy vehicles and equipment.
-Â Â Heavy (45 pounds and over) lifting and carrying
-Â Â Reaching
-Â Â Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
-Â Â Acceptable smelling
-Â Â Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
-Â Â Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
-Â Â Climbing (including ladders)
-Â Â Pulling, pushing, balancing, throwing, reaching
-Â Â Walking, standing, crawling, kneeling, bending, stooping, jumping, running
-Â Â Driving
Pass basic water safety
Must pass swimming component:
â€¢Â Â Treading water for 5 minutes
â€¢Â Â Swim one lap 25 yards under water
â€¢Â Â Swim four laps 100 yards- Â untimed
â€¢Â Â Retrieve 10 pound brick in 12 feet of water
– Â Hazardous conditions: flames, fire, chemicals, smoke, heat, gases, moving vehicles, falling structures and debris, electricity, poor ventilation, poor lighting and related hazards.
– Â Stressful situations
– Â Bio-hazard infectious disease
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.