Deadline: February 25, 2018
Salary: $49,190.09 Annually
Test Date Saturday – March 3, 2018
Test Time 9:00 am – 12:00 for exam, Physical Agility immediately follows
report to test site at 8:30 a.m.
Test Site DeSoto Fire Training Center
501 E. Wintergreen DeSoto, Texas 75115
What to Bring to Test
- Driver’s License
- DD214 for Veteran Points
The purpose of this position is to provide fire suppression, rescue and emergency services. This is accomplished by responding to calls for service; providing emergency medical care; responding to hazardous materials scenes; completing firefighting and rescue activities; assisting with fire investigations; providing public education; and conducting pre-fire planning and safety surveys. Other duties include maintaining equipment and fire stations; conducting tours; inspecting fire hydrants; and inspecting equipment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes fire suppression activities by driving assigned apparatus to and from emergencies; laying and connecting hoses; maintaining pumping apparatus; ventilating structures; searching for hidden fires; operating hose lines; climbing ladders; searching for victims; and eliminating the possibility of rekindling.
- Provides emergency medical services by answering calls and responding to requests for service; extricating victims from accident scenes; lifting and transporting patients; checking vital signs; and providing life support and emergency medical treatment.
- Educates the public by providing instruction on fire prevention; overseeing fire drills; conducting fire station tours; facilitating first aid classes; conducting fire safety surveys; developing pre-fire plans; and answering general questions.
- Maintains the fire station by cleaning the facility; maintaining the grounds; completing preventive maintenance and repairs on the facility and apparatus; cleaning, inspecting and replacing hoses, inspecting equipment and apparatus; and maintaining protective equipment.
- Assists with fire investigations by reviewing information and preserving evidence.
Minimum Qualifications to test on Saturday March 3, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. are as follows:
- Minimum Age is 21 and Maximum Age is 35
- United States Citizen
- Graduation from an accredited high school OR possession of an equivalency certificate
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record
AND THE FOLLOWING by Job Offer Date
- Certification as a Paramedic, as issued by the Texas Department of State Health Services or National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians AND/OR
- Certification as a Basic Firefighter, as issued by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection with a current Texas or National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Certification
Entry Level Pay $49,190 annually – $4,099 monthly
A Study Guide is also available at desototexas.gov on the Fire Department page.
Apply online at desototexas.gov from Friday, February 2, 2018 through Sunday, February 25, 2018
Applicants must pass the written exam with a minimum score of 70 percent (70%). Physical Agility testing follows IMMEDIATELY for successful applicants. Bring appropriate workout clothes and shoes. After successful completion of the written exam and physical agility testing, an eligibility list will be established and will remain for six months, or until exhausted.
Preference in hiring may be granted to currently certified Paramedics.
Individuals with disabilities who will need reasonable accommodations to complete testing must contact the Civil Service Director at (972) 230-9601 at least two weeks prior to the scheduled test date. Documentation supporting the need for accommodation will be required.
- Skill in the operation and use of standard office software which includes databases and presentation programs, along with standard Microsoft products
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with co-workers, the public, and elected and appointed officials
- Ability to obtain Paramedic Certification within 18 months of employment and retain while employed
- Ability to obtain Basic Firefighter Certification / EMT within 18 months of employment and retain while employed
- Ability to successfully complete the written exam, rigorous physical agility, psychological and polygraph testing, and additional background screening and investigation
- Ability to alphabetize and numerically sequence materials
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.