Deadline: July 29, 2020
Salary: $48,329.00 Annually
THE CITY OF EVANSTON, ILLINOIS FIRE DEPARTMENT
The City of Evanston is now accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic with the Evanston Fire Department. Please read these application requirements carefully, paying particular attention to deadlines and required documents.
Base Salary Range: $59,502 – $99,214
Sworn Personnel: 102
- Passing score on the Written Exam to be administered on Saturday, March 28, 2020 at Northwestern University.
- Passing score on the subjective component/interview (date TBD).
- Chosen candidates will be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including polygraph, psychological evaluation, medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
- Certification by the Evanston Public Safety Civil Service Commission.
Firefighter/Paramedic Minimum Requirements:
- Pay a $25.00 non-refundable application fee. (The $25 non-refundable application fee will be waived for City of Evanston residents with proof of address. Please complete and submit the Fee Waiver Form in the Payment section of the application to qualify);
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent US Resident;
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record. Must be willing and able to obtain a Class A Non-Commercial Driver’s License within 18 months of employment and must be able to maintain it as a condition of employment;
- Must possess a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card and Ladder Climb certification issued within one year of the written exam test date (March 28, 2020). NOTE: The City of Evanston will accept any certification (card or letter) which says that the applicant passed a CPAT and Ladder Climb from any vendor taken before March 28, 2020, but no earlier than March 28, 2019. These can include SUFD, MABAS, Naperville, NIPSTA, or similar organization. It must be a “CPAT” and not some other type of physical ability test;
- Must be between 21 and 34 years of age at the time of employment. If 35 years of age or over, must have previous experience as a Firefighter/Paramedic. If between the ages of 35 and 40, must have turned 35 while serving in reserve duty or active duty (with honorable discharge) in the military;
- Must not possess any misdemeanor or felony convictions in accordance with 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6.3(i);
- Must be willing and able to obtain a Hazardous Material Operations Certification within 18 months of employment and maintain it as a condition of employment;
- Must be willing and able to obtain a Paramedic License within 24 months of employment and maintain it as a condition of employment;
- Must be able to successfully complete all requirements for a State of Illinois Firefighter II certification.
- Resident of Evanston, Illinois at the time of application;
- Completion of the Evanston Fire Department’s Fire Explorer Program or another fire department’s explorer or fire cadet program;
- Possession of a valid paramedic license;
- Graduation from a State Fire Marshal fire academy; and/or
- One or more years of active duty service and honorable discharge from the US Armed Forces.
Required Documents (to be submitted at time of application):
- $25.00 non-refundable application fee;
- COPY of U.S. citizenship (acceptable documentation may include a birth certificate, a valid U.S. passport or naturalization papers);
- COPY of your valid driver’s license (if your license was renewed with a sticker, copies of the front -AND- back are required);
- COPY of high school diploma or GED certificate (acceptable documentation may include copy of high school diploma, high school transcript with graduation date, dated GED, college transcript showing high school and high school graduation date, or signed letter on high school letterhead).
- COPY of CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with an issue date within one (1) year of the date of the written exam March 28, 2020. Certifications issued between March 21, 2020 and March 28, 2020 must be submitted directly to City of Evanston Human Resources.
- Failure to include all of the required documents will render your application incomplete and will disqualify you.
Preferred Required Documents:
- COPY of Military Discharge Form DD-214 (if applicable);
- COPY of current driver’s license or State ID showing residence in Evanston, IL;
- COPY of valid paramedic license;
- Proof of completion of fire explorer or cadet program;
- Proof of graduation from a State Fire Marshal fire academy.
Applicants must submit all supporting documents online
by 4:00 PM (CST) on Friday, February 28, 2020
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.