Deadline: August 11, 2017
Salary: $61,810 Annually
What are the Requirements?
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be 21 years of age at time of application, and under 35 years of age at time of appointment
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must have a current State of Illinois Firefighter II or Basic Operations – Firefighter certification
- Be able to show documented proof of current participation in an IDPH approved Paramedic program at the time of application OR be EMT-Paramedic certified by the Illinois Department of Public Health at time of hire
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Provide proof of having passed a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), as designed by the International Association of Fire Chiefs and International Association of Firefighters. Candidate exam must have been taken within 12 months prior to the application deadline
- Must pass written examination and oral interview
- Must pass, after conditional job offer, polygraph test, medical exam, psychological exam, drug screening and an intensive background investigation
- If hired and prior to completing probation, you must live within 25 miles from the corporate limits of the City of Geneva. Residency must be obtained before the completion of his/her probationary period
The department requires all career firefighters who are not certified paramedics, to maintain his/her certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Firefighter/Paramedics are also required to maintain their EMT-P certificate. The Geneva Fire Department conducts on-duty, as well as department-wide, training programs for all members. All career firefighters are expected to attend and participate in these sessions. Further, the department strongly encourages its members to pursue additional training and certification levels through statewide courses offered by the Illinois Fire Service Institute and area junior colleges, in addition to specialized courses and seminars. The department also encourages personnel to pursue higher educational degrees (Associates, Bachelors and Masters).
Uniforms and Protective Clothing
The City issues personal protective clothing to each member who is expected to care for the equipment. Each career firefighter has an annual clothing allowance of $500 that is to be used for station uniforms and items related to his/her work.
All of the career full-time firefighters are on a 24/48 hour schedule. There are 8 holidays recognized by the City of Geneva. Shift firefighters who are scheduled to work on a city recognized holiday will receive 12 hours of holiday pay for that day. Firefighters receive 8 Kelly Days per year (every 16th shift).
The City of Geneva has instituted a Merit/Step System for salary consideration. The starting salary for a firefighter/paramedic is $61,810.
Vacation and Personal Days
New employees are eligible for four shift days of vacation after the first year of employment. Further, the City allows two personal days after 90 calendar days of employment.
Firefighter’s Pension Fund
All full-time, career firefighters are eligible to apply for admission into the Firefighter’s Pension Fund after the first 30 days of employment. Contributions are made through payroll deductions.
The City provides group medical, dental and life insurance to all full-time employees with the City.
The Geneva Fire Department will pay a predetermined amount of tuition cost for pre-approved associate and under-graduate college courses after one year of employment, based on budget authority. Employees are required to sign a “Tuition Reimbursement Agreement” prior to the start of a class or course.
The City provides employee counseling on a confidential basis through the Tri-City Family Services organizations. This is available to the employees and his/her family at no cost regarding emotional or mental health problems.
How do I apply?
Hiring for career positions is handled and coordinated by the Geneva Board of Fire and Police Commissioners. It is a competitive testing process that only occurs every two years.
We are currently accepting applications for Full-Time Firefighters until August 11, 2017.
Applications are available at the IOS website.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.