Deadline: September 21, 2017
Salary: $24.71 Per Hour
Summary: This position performs job duties and tasks involving response to fire alarms, emergency medical calls, and other emergency calls to protect life and property; participates in fire training, fire prevention, public education, and station and equipment maintenance activities; operates a paramedic unit in response to medical emergencies and provides medical care. An employee in this position may be assigned to work on projects or other assignments requiring specialized knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Responds to and interacts with the general public, residents, supervisory personnel, employees, and/or others within and outside of the organization in a courteous, professional and effective manner.
Under supervision, the incumbent performs standard and routine work assignments, within established policies and procedures, independently to conclusion; unusual problems which may require exceptions are referred to the supervisor; receives detailed instructions on new projects and assignments.
Work is performed indoors in an office environment and in an environment typical of a fire station. Work is also performed in the field at emergency sites or other locations, with exposure to all weather conditions; poor lighting; a variety of terrains; extreme noise of emergency equipment; mechanical and electrical hazards of burning equipment, facilities, and materials; explosive hazards of gases and explosive devices; fumes, odors, and dust of atmosphere at fires and other emergency sites; biological hazards of bodily fluids, airborne and blood-borne pathogens; and toxic substances of burning material; and to sit, climb, drive, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, walk, run, stand, push, pull, lift, hear / listen, see / observe and endure and function under stress. Uses personal protective equipment and department issued safety equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous situations.
Work scheduled overtime and be available for emergency overtime when the need arises by responding to overtime call outs before and after standard scheduled hours of work.
Applicants for the position of Firefighter / Paramedic must meet the following minimum requirements and qualifications at the time of application:
- United States citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years old and maximum age of 34 years (unless applicant meets one of the exemptions listed under 65 ILCS 5/10-1-7.1).
- Graduation from high school or equivalent thereof.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Currently certified as a Basic Operations Fire Fighter or Fire Fighter II under the State of Illinois, Division of Personnel Standards and Education; and
- Minimally a Provisional Paramedic or a System Approved Paramedic Student by the State of Illinois pursuant to applicable statutes and regulations at the time of application.
- Applicants must provide a Candidate Physical Ability Test [CPAT] certificate with Ladder Climb with an issuance date between September 1, 2016 and September 21, 2017.
- Written examination [Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 10:00 a.m.]
- Oral Interview with Civil Service Commission – eligible applicants will be contacted with specific date / time information [late October / early November 2017]
- Initial eligibility register established
- Preference points: maximum of 10 points:
- Veterans’ Points / Military Service with an Honorable Discharge: five (5) points
- Education Points: up to five (5) points:
- Associates Degree (any curriculum): 2.5 points
- Bachelors Degree (any curriculum): an additional 2.5 points (5 points total)
- Final Eligibility Register
If a position becomes available, candidates on the Final Eligibility Roster will be contacted in successive order and may be extended a conditional offer of employment. If a conditional offer of employment is extended, the candidate must successfully pass a psychological examination, polygraph examination, background check and medical examination, including drug screen. All appointments are subject to a probationary period.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.