Deadline: July 1, 2017
Salary: $18.50 / hour
The Homewood Fire Department is currently hiring for Part-time Firefighter Paramedic. All testing must be completed by July 1, 2017.
The department requires the candidate PHQ. You can access the questionnaire through your candidate account. The PHQ must be completed by the closing date or you may not be considered further in the process.
Salary Information: $18.50 / hour
Minimum of 48 hour required per month.
Department Overview: The Homewood Fire Department covers 5.5 square miles of village limits and is an active Department within Illinois MABAS Division 24. The Homewood Fire Department provides a full range of fire and emergency services to our community and our surrounding communities. Our department averages 3,000 responses annually and offers many training opportunities.
Area Information: The Village of Homewood is located in the South suburbs of Chicago within Cook County.
US Citizen: Yes
High School Grad/GED: Yes
Valid ILLINOIS State Driver’s License: Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
Vision: Medical evaluation including vision and other requirements will be in accordance to the most current National Fire Protection Association Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Districts (NFPA 1582).
Yes, Firefighter Basic Operations (Firefighter II) from the Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal Certification.
At a minimum candidates must possess the following certifications prior to applying:
- Age 21 at the time of hire
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License
- State of Illinois Basic Operations Firefighter or Firefighter II
- Licensed State of Illinois Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-P)
- Valid CPAT with ladder climb endorsement certificate card within the last 12 months (at the time of application)
Candidates will also have the ability to claim preference points by submitting a claim form with any required attachments. Education and experience preference points claim form must be submitted at time of application. Veteran’s preference points may be claimed within ten (10) days after the posting of the final eligibility register. Three types of preference points may be claimed by applicants:
- Veteran’s preference points for applicants who served in the US military actively for at least one year and who were honorably discharged or are now on inactive or reserve duty – 5pts. (DD-214 is required)
- Educational preference points for applicants who have obtained an associate’s degree in the field of fire service, or emergency medical services, or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university – 3pts.
- Experience preference points for applicants who were employed as full-time certified firefighters II for at least two (2) years at another fire protection district or municipality – 2pts.
- One point for any candidate who is a Village of Homewood resident at the time of application.
Felony, Criminal Activity Disqualifiers: No Felony or Criminal convictions, probation or supervision.
Driving Disqualifiers: Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license and good driving record.
Drug Use Disqualifiers: No illegal drug possession or record of illegal drug use.
Employment Disqualifiers: Must pass a pre-employment medical evaluation including drug screening and background investigation.
- CPAT: Proof of successful completion of the Candidate Physical Agility Test (CPAT) and Ladder Climb conducted by a licensed CPAT testing agency is required by June 30, 2017. CPAT testing must have been completed no earlier than one (1) year.
- Passing score on FireTEAM test. This requires attaining a score that is at or above the median score for all applicants participating in the written test. Written test must be completed by June 30, 2017.
- Certifications: National or Illinois Paramedic license obtained at time of conditional offer of employment. Candidates are required to test into Illinois Region 7 – South Cook County EMS System prior to their start date.
Items Needed for Application Submission:
- Completed and electronically signed NTN Firefighter Application and Personal Data Questionnaire (PHQ).
- Preference Point Claim Form for preference points. Can be found here (must be notarized).
- Copy of valid Driver’s License and Driver’s license abstract. (Illinois license required at the time of appointment).
- Copy of Birth Certificate – notarized copy
- Copy of High School Diploma or evidence of GED equivalence diploma
- Copy of Illinois EMT-P License or National EMT-P License
- Copy of Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and valid Ladder Climb Certificate
- DD 214 for Veteran’s Points
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.