Deadline: July 29, 2017
Salary: $7,072.00 – $8,760.27 Monthly
The City of Huntington Beach Fire Department is seeking career minded individuals who are prepared for a long-term career in the fire service profession. Ideal candidates will possess excellent interpersonal and multi-cultural skills, have a strong commitment to community involvement, as well as have a good understanding of basic teaching techniques. The City anticipates filling 7-10 vacancies. Current and future vacancies will be filled from the eligibility list established from this recruitment and examination process.
APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION ARE REQUIRED TO:
- Submit an ON-LINE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION to the City of Huntington Beach by the recruitment DEADLINE of 7/29/17, 11:59 pm; and
- Schedule and COMPLETE job simulation testing with National Testing Network, Inc. by the testing DEADLINE of 7/29/17 10:00 pm. (See “Selection Process” below for more details.)
APPLICANTS WHO FAIL TO COMPLETE EITHER OF THE ABOVE REQUIREMENTS BY THE DEADLINES PROVIDED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED FROM FURTHER CONSIDERATION.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Under the direction of a Fire Captain, performs duties involving responding to medical, fire and environmental emergencies;
- Communicates medical information to the hospital; administers advanced emergency medical care to the sick and injured; documents emergency care rendered
- Engages in fire prevention, fire suppression, and salvage activities;
- Performs inspection and code enforcement activities;
- Conducts education sessions regarding fire/emergency safety practices and procedures;
- Maintains fire stations; drives department vehicles; operates department equipment;
- Attends instruction sessions related to job; participates in HBFD’s physical fitness program;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Note: The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed within this job classification. City Council/Administration at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.Typical Qualifications
(Please note time sensitive requirements below)
The following must be met by time of application:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- At least 18 years of age
- Possession of a valid California State Paramedic license OR a valid National Registry EMT-Paramedic Certification.
- Possession of Certificate of successful completion of Physical Abilities Test (PAT). Only CPAT or Biddle PAT, issued on or after June 12, 2016, will be accepted.
Must meet at least one of the following requirements by time of application:
- One year of continuous experience as a full-time paid firefighter with a federal, state, county or local agency, OR
- Possession of a California Firefighter I Certificate; OR
- Graduation from a California State accredited Firefighter I Academy (minimum of 348 hours).
The following must be met by time of appointment:
- Valid California Driver License
- United States Citizenship
The following must be met after appointment:
- Candidates possessing a Paramedic Certification through the National Registry must obtain a California State Paramedic License by completion of HBFD Firefighter Paramedic Academy.
- American Heart Association (AHA) issued BLS Provider or Healthcare Provider card by completion of HBFD Firefighter Paramedic Academy.
- Orange County Paramedic accreditation within thirty (30) days of completion of HBFD Firefighter Paramedic Academy.
- California Class C Driver License with Firefighter Endorsement prior to completing probationary period.
Note: The HBFD has a policy that applies to the general appearance of staff, which includes limitations in tattooing on areas of the body that would cause the tattoo(s) to be readily visible while wearing a short-sleeved uniform.
Each candidate is required to submit an on-line application and supplemental questionnaire to the City of Huntington Beach. No walk-ins will be permitted. Applications will be reviewed for qualifications and completeness.
Candidates are also required to schedule and complete a job simulation test through the National Testing Network, Inc. To schedule a test, go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com, select “Fire” and sign up for the Huntington Beach Fire Department.
What to expect at the National Testing Network website:
- Completion of the application process for National Testing Network (this does NOT take the place of submitting an on-line application for the City of Huntington Beach).
- Review all information related to the Huntington Beach Fire Department Firefighter Paramedic position, including minimum requirements, salary and benefits.
- Detailed information about the testing process for both the entry level test and CPAT testing.
- Opportunity to take on-line practice tests at www.fireteamtest.com.
- Schedule your own convenient test time. Tests are offered multiple times a week, including Saturdays.
- Take high quality job simulation tests in a standardized, fair testing environment.
- Your NTN test score must be valid through August 2, 2017 (If you previously took the test prior to 8/3/16, your score will not be valid and you must re-take the test in order to be considered for this recruitment).
The examination components will include a job simulation test, a practical exercise, and an oral board appraisal. The top candidates successful in passing the job simulation test will be scheduled for a Practical Exercise, to take place the week of August 28, 2017. Candidates receiving a passing score on the Practical Exercise will then be invited to the oral board appraisal, to take place the week of September 11, 2017.
- Any incomplete application or application not meeting qualifications will be disqualified from further participation in the examination process.
- Proof of required certifications (only those specified) must be submitted at time of application. Failure to provide copies will result in disqualification.
- Candidates successfully passing all the components of the examination process will be placed on the eligible list from which appointments will be made.
- This list will be in effect for one year unless exhausted sooner.
COMPONENT / TENTATIVE DATES
The entire selection process may take up to 5 to 7 months before a job offer is made, as it is comprised of the various components noted below. Upon appointment, new-hires are placed through a minimum of a six to eight week comprehensive training program and serve a one-year probationary period.
- Application Filing Period
- June 12, 2017 – July 29, 2017.
- Job Simulation Test (30% weight):
- Schedule and complete testing by July 29, 2017 at 10 pm.
- Candidate must schedule their own testing by going to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com.
- Practical EMS Exercise (20% weight)
- The week of August 28-September 1, 2017
- The top candidates successful in passing the job simulation test will be invited to the practical EMS exercise.
- Candidates will be required to complete a paramedic assessment which may include simulated emergency scenarios and/or job knowledge assessment exercises.
- Oral Board Interview (50% weight)
- The week of September 11-15, 2017.
- The top candidates successful in passing the practical EMS exercise will be invited to the oral board interviews.
- Employment Eligible List
- Placement on the eligible list is comprised of the combined weighted scores from the job simulation test (30%), the oral board interview (50%) and the practical E.M.S. exercise (20%). Candidates final composite scores will determine placement on the employment eligible list.
- Current Vacancies
- The City anticipates 7-10 vacancies during the term of the list. The top candidates will be certified to the Fire Chief. These candidates can expect to hear from the Fire Department shortly after notification. The employment eligible list is valid for one year unless exhausted sooner. Additional names may be processed during the life of the list.
- Background Investigation
- Conducted after placement on eligible list. A comprehensive background investigation will be conducted on all candidates considered for employment.
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Upon conditional offer of employment, a pre-placement medical exam, including a drug screen, polygraph examination, psychological evaluation, and swim test will be conducted.
- Pre-Placement Polygraph, Psychological Evaluation, Medical Exam, Drug Screen and Swim Test
- Conducted after passing background investigation and upon a conditional offer of employment.
- The swim assessment is conducted in a pool and will include a 50-yard swim (not timed), treading water for 5 minutes, and picking up an object from the bottom of a pool.
- City of Huntington Beach On-line employment applications required. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- Respond to the supplemental questions to help us determine your qualifications for this classification.
- Applications will be screened for completeness, required qualifications and applicable certifications.
- Please include correct email address on your application as all communication will be sent via email.
- Please check any spam blocker you may have on your computer to enable your email account to receive our correspondence.
- Be prepared to upload and attach copies of all required certifications listed below to your on-line application.
- Copy of current driver license.
- Copy of California State Paramedic License OR copy of National Registry EMT-Paramedic card.
- Copy of required certifications (CA accredited Firefighter I Academy OR CSBFS Firefighter I OR copy of most recent paystub).
- Copy of CPAT or Biddle PAT certification.
- Follow the link to National Testing Network to schedule and complete job simulation testing prior to the July 29, 2017, 10 pm deadline.
- Failure to provide copies of all required certifications as listed above at the time of application will result in disqualification.
- Expired or missing certifications will result in disqualification.
- Failure to schedule and complete job simulation testing by the deadline provided will result in disqualification.
- Please DO NOT attach documents other than those requested to your on-line job application. Doing so could result in disqualification.
SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Apply on-line by the posted deadline. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- Schedule and complete job simulation testing by contacting National Testing Network, Inc. at www.nationaltestingnetwork.com.
- All communication with candidates will be sent via email, therefore, please include correct email address on your application.
- Applicants who obtain a passing score on the job simulation test and who best meet the City’s needs will be invited to the practical exercise scheduled for the week of August 28-September 1, 2017. Those passing the practical exercise will then be invited to the oral board interviews, scheduled for the week of September 11-15, 2017.
- Be prepared to upload and attach copies of all requested certifications listed above to your on-line application.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.