Deadline: August 28, 2017
Salary: $58,437 – $90,436 Annually
The City of Joliet Board of Fire and Police Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic.
Salary: $58,437 – $90,436 (after 4 years) Population: 149,000
Sworn Personnel: 209
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the City of Joliet:
- U.S. citizenship;
- No felony convictions;
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid driver’s license with good driving record (will be required proof of identification at
all phases of testing);
- No offensive and/or inappropriate visible tattoos, brands, or body piercings. No tattoos, body art,
or brands will be on the head, face, scalp, neck, or hands from the wrists to the fingertips (Reference: Joliet Fire Department Standard Operating Procedure #25 – under the Job Description section of the application);
- Possess 20/20 vision (or corrected 20/20 vision) and cannot be color blind;
- At least 20 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of the application deadline
(August 28, 2017) -AND- Must be at least 21 years of age and UNDER 35 years of age at time of job appointment, unless otherwise exempt (see below).
o Unless otherwise exempt by State or Federal law; Such maximum age limitation shall not apply in the case of 1) any person previously employed as a full-time firefighter in a regularly constituted fire department of (i) any municipality or fire protection district whose obligations were assumed by a municipality under Section 21 of the Fire Protection District Act, or (ii) a municipality whose obligations were taken over by a fire protection district, or 2) any person who has served the fire district as a regularly enrolled volunteer, paid-on-call, or part-time firefighter for the 5 years immediately preceding the time that the district begins to use full-time firefighters to provide all or part of its fire protection service. (References: 70 ILCS 705/16.06b; 65 ILCS 5/10-2.1-6);
• Must successfully obtain a valid Paramedic certification in the State of Illinois –AND- test into the Silver Cross EMS System by the end of their probationary period*
o *Candidates that do not currently possess a State of Illinois Paramedic License and are not members of the Silver Cross EMS System will be required to attend paramedic school (paid for by the Joliet Fire Department), pass the State of Illinois Paramedic Licensure Exam and successfully test into the Silver Cross EMS System during their probationary period. Failure to do so will result in the candidate’s termination.
• Must present a valid CPAT and Ladder Climb certification with any licensed agency, issued no more than 12 months prior to time of job appointment;
o Additional information on the CPAT and Ladder Climb Certifications is available in the “Summary of the Hiring Process” section of the application.
- Attend a mandatory orientation/written exam administration on Saturday, September 16, 2017; Candidates scoring in the top tier will move on to the first round of oral interviews;
- Must meet the requirements of a background investigation and pass a medical, vision, psychological and polygraph test;
- Pay a $40.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Application deadline is Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:00 PM.
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the City of Joliet for the following:
- Military Veterans
- State of Illinois Paramedic Certification
- Bilingual skills in Spanish/English