Deadline: January 10, 2020
The City of Lansing is creating an Eligibility List to hire Firefighter EMT’s and Paramedics. As a league of First Responders, these elite individuals take pride in providing Fire Rescue and Emergency Medical assistance to the City’s diverse community of residents who are responsible for protecting life and property by performing firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials and fire prevention missions, as well as maintaining fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. If you possess the required certifications, are sincerely dedicated, and helping others is a life mission, this may be a good fit and rewarding opportunity for you!
Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Responds to fire alarms with a fire company, performs search and rescue, enters burning buildings with hose lines, operates nozzles and plays a stream of water on fire as directed.
- Operates hand fire extinguishers, chemical hose, fog nozzles and similar equipment in extinguishing fire. Raises, lowers, and climbs ladders and ventilates burning buildings to carry off smoke and gases.
- Assists in pre-fire planning of all types of buildings for fire hazards and locations of exits and fire protection devices; assist in preparation of records of inspections; notes and reports other types of inspections; carries on continuous fire prevention activities.
- Rides fire apparatus to emergency alarms and other assignments
- Drives the ambulance to emergency alarms and other assignments.
- Performs the skills required for EMS services at the scene of accidents and medical emergencies.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older to apply.
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Firefighter I / II and current EMT license required.
- Current National Registry Paramedic license preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record as defined by the Michigan Department of State and City of Lansing driving records standards.
- Must pass a criminal history records check and not have any pending or have been convicted of any felony charges.
- Must meet physical standards as determined by the City’s Medical Director.
The City of Lansing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Certified Veteran Friendly Employer.
The City of Lansing provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, or during employment, notify the Department of Human Resources at (517) 483-4004. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Application Special Instructions
- ALL interested candidates must complete the City of Lansing CivicHR application at http://www.lansingmi.gov/jobs AND register for and test through EMPCO at https://www.empco.net/fts to receive consideration for available City of Lansing Firefighter EMT and Paramedic positions.
- There is a $75.00 fee to participate in the EMPCO examination which allows your test results to be accepted by the City of Lansing and any participating departments in the State of Michigan.
- You must apply and have an active passing score of 70% or higher through EMPCO testing by January 10, 2020.
- Candidates who qualify will be contacted by the City of Lansing Department of Human Resources to participate in additional selection process steps.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.