Firefighter/Paramedic – Lateral
Deadline: January 17, 2020
Salary: $59,376.00 – $87,540.00 Annually
Examples of Duties
Education: Graduation from a Basic Firefighter I Fire Academy. Associates and/or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is highly desirable.
- Must be eligible for California State Fire Marshal (CSFM) Firefighter I certification.
- Valid California driver’s license. (Candidates selected for hire who do not possess a California driver’s license, must obtain it prior to completion of the Oceanside Fire Academy.)
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider or American Red Cross CPR card.
- State of California EMT-P license or National Registry EMT-P certificate. (Candidates selected for hire who do not possess a State of California EMT-P license, must obtain it prior to completion of the Oceanside Fire Academy.)
- Current San Diego County EMT-P accreditation. (Candidates selected for hire must obtain this accreditation prior to completion of the Oceanside Fire Academy.)
As a condition of continued employment, this position requires maintenance of these licenses/certifications:
- Valid California EMT-P license OR valid National Registry EMT-P certificate.
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider OR American Red Cross CPR card.
- Firefighter I certification or basic fire academy certificate.
- Current County of San Diego EMT-P accreditation. (Must obtain prior to completion of the Oceanside Fire Academy.)
Note: You must attach copies of the previous certifications to your application. If you do not, your application will not be considered.
Physical Demands: Must have the physical ability to perform the full range of Firefighter/Paramedic duties.
Work Schedule: All positions require the ability to work shifts of up to 24 hours, including evenings, holidays, and weekends. Work schedules may occasionally require more than a 24-hour shift to ensure adequate shift coverage. Firefighter/Paramedics rotate between shifts and staff assignments at the discretion of the Fire Chief.
Working Conditions and Selection Process
Physical Conditions: Essential and marginal functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for arduous work and frequent bending, turning, reaching, grasping, kneeling, standing, sitting, and walking; and moderate to heavy pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying.
Selection Process: All properly completed applications will be reviewed and the most appropriately qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the examination process which will include a physical abilities test, an oral board interview and practical EMS Skills test.
Physical Abilities Test (PAT): Saturday, January 25, 2020. Applicants who have passed the San Diego North County Regional Firefighter PAT, or CPAT, or Biddle PAT within the past six months may be eligible to have the PAT waived. Applicants must provide proof of successful completion.
Oral Board Interviews: Scheduled to take place the week of January 27, 2020.
Firefighter Skills/Knowledge Test: Scheduled to take place the week of January 27, 2020.
EMS Skills Test: Scheduled to take place the week of January 27, 2020.
Candidates who successfully complete all portions of the examination process will be placed on the eligibility list according to their final score and will remain eligible for employment consideration for a minimum of six months.
Chiefs Interview: A Chiefs interview for those certified from the eligibility list is tentatively scheduled for the week of February 10, 2020
Note: Prospective employees will undergo, and must successfully pass, a background investigation which may include fingerprinting, psychological evaluation, polygraph examination, and a medical examination which will include drug screening.
RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS BUT MAY BE ATTACHED.
CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION IN THE SELECTION PROCESS SHOULD STATE THEIR NEEDS IN WRITING WHEN SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION.
THE PROVISIONS OF THIS BULLETIN DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT. ANY PROVISION CONTAINED IN THIS BULLETIN MAY BE MODIFIED OR REVOKED WITHOUT NOTICE.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.