Firefighter/Paramedic – Lateral
Deadline: August 16, 2018
Salary: $73,120.32 – $110,073.60 Annually
The Pasadena fire department (PFD) is currently accepting applications for the Firefighter Paramedic position. The Firefighter Paramedic is a non-trainee position. Under direct supervision, the Firefighter Paramedic performs the full range of fire safety activities.
The mission of the PFD is to provide protection of life, property, and the environment from the effects of fires, medical emergencies, and hazards. The ideal candidates have the ability to embody accountability, integrity, and flexibility. Our city is small enough to provide a hometown feeling, yet large enough to offer engaging and varied work experiences. PFD has a Class 1 Public Protection Classification rating from the Insurance Services Office. Working with top-notch colleagues you will be mentored, coached and trained by the best. To learn more information about PFD visit the :Pasadena Fire Department website.
- Structured Interviews/Performance Exam: Tentatively Scheduled for the week of September 3, 2018.
- Chief’s Interviews: Tentatively Scheduled for the week of September 17, 2018.
- Exam dates are tentative and are subject to change.
Please note: Firefighter Paramedic employees may be eligible for a variety of benefits including Section 125 medical/dependent care accounts, Bilingual Pay, Tuition Reimbursement, Educational Incentive Pay and USAR Bonus.
The Major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job description.
1. Performs the full range of fire safety activities, including: lay hose; set up ladders; operate fire department equipment.
2. Conducts rescue and salvage work.
3. Administers first aid and assist in medical care to the sick and injured.
4. Performs basic fire prevention and code enforcement duties, including life safety inspections.
5. Performs support and maintenance activities such as servicing fire hydrants, fire equipment maintenance and repair.
6. Keeps abreast of current firefighting methods and operations, city geography, and departmental policies and procedures.
7. Conducts public education and information activities including assisting in the preparation and dissemination of informational materials and making public presentations.
8. Performs fire apparatus repair and maintenance.
9. Performs all functions of a paramedic, as necessary.
10. May be required to accept a 40 – hour administrative assignment on a temporary basis.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have 18-months of Full-time experience as a paid/non-probationary firefighter paramedic with a public fire agency that is comparable to the Pasadena Fire Department (Suburban, urban, or metropolitan) as identified by NFPA and CPSE standards.
- Must have successfully completed a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter I academy (or equivalent training program).
- AA/AS Degree in fire science or closely related field is desirable.
The selection process will consist of a training and experience evaluation, a performance examination, an oral interview, a Chief’s interview and a thorough background investigation. An examination will be scheduled based on the staffing needs of the Pasadena Fire Department. The probationary work period is one year. This position is part of the Pasadena Fire Fighters Association, Local 809.Special Requirements
The following documents are required and must be attached and submitted with your online application:
- Proof of completing a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter I academy (or equivalent training program).
- A current and valid National Registry and/or California State Paramedic (EMT-P) License.
- Must possess a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter II certification OR fulfill the California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter II requirements within twelve months of employment.
- As a condition of employment must possess a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or Biddle physical ability exam at the time of appointment. Certificates are valid for 12 months after the date issued.
- As a condition of employment must possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License within ten (10) days of start date.
- As a condition of employment must agree not to use tobacco products of any kind.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.