Deadline: October 6, 2017
Salary: $57,754.00 Annually
The OFPD Board of Fire Commissioners is accepting applications for the position of firefighter/paramedic with the Orland Fire Protection District.Starting Salary: $57,754.00, plus any applicable incentives per the current CBA. Population: As an ISO Class 1 Fire Protection District, we are proud to serve nearly 80,000 residents across 33 square miles in the communities of Orland Park, Orland Hills, and unincorporated Orland Township. Sworn Personnel: 111
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by the OFPD Board of Fire Commissioners:
- U.S. citizenship -AND- a resident of the United States for a period of one (1) year prior to the date of the written examination (October 14, 2017);
- Minimum of 21 years of age at the time of hire -AND- must be UNDER 35 years of age as of the application deadline date (October 6, 2017), unless otherwise exempt by State Statute;
- No felony convictions;
- Possess a High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent;
- Possess a valid State of Illinois driver’s license with a good driving record;
- Must be licensed by the Illinois Department of Public Health as an Emergency Medical Technician-Paramedic (EMT-P) at the time of conditional offer of employment;
- Must be a certified Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter through the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal at the time of conditional offer of employment;
- Must present CPAT and Ladder Climb certification issued by NIPSTA, SUFD, or MABAS Division 24 at time of application, with an issue date within one (1) year of the date of the written exam October 14, 2017;
- Must successfully test into the Silver Cross Hospital EMSS prior to offer of employment;
- Residency: Appointed candidates are granted one (1) year to establish residency within a 65-mile geographic area beyond the District boundaries;
- Must meet the requirements of an in-depth background investigation and pass a thorough physical evaluation prior to a conditional offer of employment;
- Attend a mandatory orientation/written exam administration on Saturday, October 14, 2017;
- Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee;
- Application deadline is Friday, October 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM (CST).
Preference Points will be awarded as determined by the Orland Fire Protection District for the following:
- Veterans preference: Applicants who were engaged in the military service of the United States for a period of at least one (1) year of active duty and who were honorably discharged therefrom, or who are now or have been members on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall receive five (5) points. Proof of such service must include a copy of Military Form DD-214 (long form) as proof of active service and/or, evidence of the honorable discharge and a sworn affidavit by the applicant at the time of application to qualify;(70 ILCS 705/16.06b(h)(1)).
- Fire cadet preference: Applicants who have successfully completed two (2) years of study in fire techniques or cadet training within a cadet program established under the rules of the Joint Labor and Management Committee (JLMC), as defined in Section 50 of the Fire Department Promotion Act, shall receive two (2) points. An official transcript with seal or other comparable documentation must be included with the request for preference points as proof of such experience; (70 ILCS 705/16.06(b)(h)(2)).
- Educational preference: Applicants may receive up to a maximum of two (2) points as follows: applicants who have successfully obtained an Associate’s Degree in the field of fire service or emergency medical services shall receive one (1) point; applicants who have successfully obtained a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university shall receive two (2) points. An official transcript with seal must be included with the request for preference points as proof of attainment of degree; (70 ILCS 705/16.06b(h)(3)).
- Experience preference: Applicants may be awarded points based on their experience in the fire service, or with the District :Part-time or paid-on-call employees of the District may be awarded up to two (2) experience preference points; however, such applicants may not be awarded more than one-half (0.5) points for each complete year of paid-on-call or part-time service. Applicants from outside the district who were employed as full-time firefighters or firefighter-paramedics by a fire protection district or municipality for at least two (2) years may be awarded up to two (2) experience preference points; however, such applicants may not be awarded more than one (1) point for each complete year of full-time service. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, no applicant may receive more than two (2) experience preference points by this subsection B.4. An applicant may not receive the full amount of preference points under this subsection B.4 if the amount of points awarded would place the applicant before any veteran on the eligibility list. If more than one applicant receiving experience preference points is prevented from receiving all of their points due to not being allowed to pass a veteran, those applicants shall be placed on the list below the veteran in rank order based on the totals received if all points under this subsection were to be awarded (any remaining ties on the list shall be determined by lot); (70 ILCS 705/16.06b(h)(5)).
- Residency preference: Applicants whose principal residence is located within the jurisdiction of the Orland Fire Protection District shall receive one (1) point. Two forms of documentation showing proof of residency (e.g., utility bills, residential lease, voter registration, driver’s license) must be included with the request for preference points as proof of residency; (70 ILCS 705/16.06b(h)(6)).
Submission of Application:
- Applications MUST be submitted online by Friday, October 6, 2017 at 4:00 PM (CST). Faxed, e-mailed, mailed or dropped off applications will NOT be accepted.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will NOT be accepted. Only one application per person, per testing cycle will be accepted.
- You are entirely responsible for the completeness and accuracy of your application. All applicants must submit required documentation as part of their application. Failure to do so will result in your ineligibility to continue in the hiring process.
Clear your calendar and make sure you are available on the following date: All candidates will receive an email approximately one week prior regarding their status in the process.Saturday October 14, 2017 – Check-in between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM* Location: Tinley Park Convention Center 18451 Convention Center Drive Tinley Park, IL 60477 *Doors will be locked at 9:00 AM. No exceptions will be made for late arrivals.
- A mandatory orientation will immediately follow candidate check-in.
- The written examination will be administered following the orientation session. Candidates should expect to be on-site for testing until approximately 12 PM.
- A study guide for the written exam, The National Firefighter Selection Test (NFST) is available for purchase at the following website: https://www.applytoserve.com/Study/. It contains useful information for preparing to take the exam, including a sample practice test and sample test answer key to check your answers.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.