Salary: $21.97 to $29.44 Per Hour
Although the full salary range for this position is provided, appointments are made at the range minimum.
This position is a member of the City of Palm Springs Fire Department and performs fire fighting and emergency medical response activities to protect life and property; responds to a variety of fire and emergency and non-emergency calls for service; performs station and equipment maintenance; and performs a variety of other technical and complex tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility.
Examples of Essential and General Responsibilities
- Respond to fire and emergency alarms; perform all phases of fire suppression work; perform rescue, ventilation, overhaul, salvage and clean-up activities at fire scene.
- Respond to and assist in the mitigation of hazardous material and emergency airport incidents; perform swift water and trench rescues as necessary; respond to non-emergency calls for service as necessary.
- As assigned, write, prepare and file reports concerning incidents, autos, light trucks, rescue and apparatus maintenance, inventory, occupancy survey, notice of violation, supply requisitions, work orders and other fire related information.
- Assist in the performance of routine daily, weekly, and monthly inspections of the fire apparatus and equipment; maintain fire station and grounds; perform routine and minor repairs as necessary; inform station fire engineer or captain of major repair work needed; perform inspections and routine maintenance on rescue and squad apparatus.
- Assist in the performance of periodic Uniform Fire Code inspections of industrial and commercial businesses and places of assembly; assist in the enforcement of the fire prevention codes by following through and documenting violations in need of corrective action.
- Conduct and participate in training exercises; develop skills in fire suppression, medical aid, apparatus operation, physical fitness and other related areas.
- Assist with public education; provide CPR instruction, grade school presentations and fire drills.
- Perform emergency medical services as an EMT.
- Maintain records and logs of work completed and in-progress; prepare statistical and analytical reports as required.
- Conduct and participate in pre-fire planning activities; stay abreast of new innovations relative to fire prevention.
- Participate in testing of a variety of department equipment including protective clothing and breathing apparatus.
- Assist with fire prevention, fire inspection and code enforcement activities.
- To perform and assist with special assignment operations and urban search and rescue operations.
- Perform duties of Fire Engineer.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
Minimum and Preferred Requirements
Minimum requirements must be clearly demonstrated on the application to be considered, however, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to compete further in the selection process. Experience requirements must be demonstrated in the “Work Experience” section of the application, other sections of the application will not be used to determine experience qualifications. (One year of work experience is the equivalent of 12 months of full-time work. “Full-time work” means at least 36 hours of work over a period of one week or 1,872 hours of work over a period of at least 12 months.) Qualifications noted as “desirable” or “preferred” are not included as part of the minimum requirements.
No directly related work experience is required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent education is required.
- Successful completion of a recognized California Office of State Fire Marshal accredited Fire Academy, or the “CalFire Firefighter Academy” for full-time career firefighters is required.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver license with a satisfactory driving record is required. (A driving record which reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI) within the past 36 months would not be considered satisfactory.)
- Possess and maintain a valid C.P.R. Certificate is required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational (FRO) Certificate is required.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Office of State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Fire Fighter I Certificate or California Office of State Fire Marshal (OSFM) accredited Fire Fighter I Academy Certificate is required.
- Physical Abilities Test
- A valid Biddle passed within six (6) months prior to Chief Interview is required.
Additional License or Certificates Paramedic:
- Possess and maintain a valid California Paramedic License is required.
- Possess and maintain, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Riverside County Emergency Medical Technician – Paramedic Certification (EMT- P) within 6 months of appointment is required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) Certificate is required.
- Possess and maintain a valid Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) Certificate or PEPP Certificate is required.
- Must reside within 75 miles of City limits during course of employment.
- Must be nonsmoking/tobacco free during course of employment.
- Palm Springs International Airport SIDA security badge must be obtained within the first three (3) months of employment.
- Successful completion of firefighter quarterly probationary tests is required.
- Successful applicants are required to pass a background, physical, psychological and drug screen prior to hire.
- Incumbents are enrolled in the California Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) Pull Notice Program. The DMV Pull Notice Program provides information on the incumbents driving record and driving record status on a periodic basis to the City.
The following work environment and physical conditions described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
This position works in an emergency fire fighting environment with exposure to heat, noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, radiant energy, toxic materials and inclement weather conditions; works at heights on scaffolding and ladders and with water; work in confined spaces and may require maintaining physical condition necessary for heavy, moderate or light lifting; sitting, walking or standing for prolonged periods; climbing with both legs and arms; operating motorized equipment and vehicles.
Application and Exam Information
Please remember to submit all your application materials by the closing date and time. Incomplete or applications received after the closing date and time cannot be considered. All information on the application is subject to investigation and verification.
For more information on completing your application materials click here.
The selection process for this position may include one or more of the following: application review, qualification review, written exam, practical exam, oral panel exam, physical abilities test, and department interview. Candidates must successfully pass each stage of the selection process above in order to continue to the next step. This process may be modified or changed depending on the number of qualified candidates.
The City of Palm Springs
3200 East Tahquitz Canyon Way
Palm Springs, CA 92262
The City of Palm Springs is an equal employment opportunity employer and we encourage all persons to file applications. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, family or marital status, disability, medical condition or pregnancy, genetic information, religious or political affiliation, or veteran status.
Disaster Service Worker: In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Palm Springs Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.