Deadline: Not Given
Salary: $50,960.00 – $76,710.40 Annually
The Pasadena fire department (PFD) is currently accepting applications for the Firefighter Paramedic position. The Firefighter Paramedic is a non-trainee position. Under direct supervision, the Firefighter Paramedic performs the full range of fire safety activities.
The mission of the PFD is to provide protection of life, property, and the environment from the effects of fires, medical emergencies, and hazards. The ideal candidates have the ability to embody accountability, integrity, and flexibility. Our city is small enough to provide a hometown feeling, yet large enough to offer engaging and varied work experiences. PFD is a ranked as a Class 1 Public Protection department by the Insurance Services Office. Working with top-notch colleagues you will be mentored, coached and trained by the best. To learn more information about PFD visit the :Pasadena Fire Department website.
Please note: Firefighter II employees may be eligible for a variety of benefits including Section 125 medical/dependent care accounts, Bilingual Pay, Tuition Reimbursement, Educational Incentive Pay and USAR Bonus.
Applications will be reviewed on a continuous basis. An examination will be scheduled based on the staffing needs of the Pasadena Fire Department.
The Major responsibilities of this position are listed below. For more detailed information, please review the job description.
1. Performs the full range of fire safety activities, including: lay hose; set up ladders; operate fire department equipment.
2. Conducts rescue and salvage work.
3. Administers first aid and assist in medical care to the sick and injured.
4. Performs basic fire prevention and code enforcement duties, including life safety inspections.
5. Perform support and maintenance activities such as servicing fire hydrants, fire equipment maintenance and repair.
6. Keeps abreast of current firefighting methods and operations, city geography, and departmental policies and procedures.
7. Conducts public education and information activities including assisting in the preparation and dissemination of informational materials and making public presentations.
8. Performs apparatus repair and maintenance.
9. Performs all functions of a paramedic, as necessary.
10. May be required to accept a 40 – hour administrative assignment on a temporary basis.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidate must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have 18-months of experience as a paid/non-probationary firefighter paramedic with a public fire agency that is comparable to the Pasadena Fire Department (Suburban, urban, or metropolitan).
- Must have successfully completed a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter I academy (or equivalent training program).
- Must have successfully passed the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or Biddle physical ability exam within 12-months of the time your application is reviewed.
- AA/AS Degree in fire science or closely related field is desirable.
The selection process will consist of a training and experience evaluation, a performance examination, an oral interview, a Chief’s interview and a thorough background investigation. The probationary work period is one year. This position is part of the Pasadena Fire Fighters Association, Local 809.Special Requirements
The following documents are required and must be attached and submitted with your online application:
- Proof of completing a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter I academy (or equivalent training program).
- A current and valid National Registry and/or California State Paramedic (EMT-P)License.
- A current and valid CPAT or BIDDLE physical abilities test certificate. NOTE: Certificates are only valid one year from the test date.
- Must possess a California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter II certification OR fulfill the California State Fire Marshal Fire Fighter II requirements within twelve months of employment.
- As a condition of employment, must possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License within ten (10) days of start date.
- As a condition of employment, must agree not to use tobacco products of any kind.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.