Deadline: July 31, 2018
Salary: $53,499.26 Annually
Rowlett Fire Rescue would like to invite you to apply for the position of Firefighter! Applicants that are both certified firefighters AND paramedics are preferred. Certified or licensed paramedics who do not have firefighter certifications will be accepted as well. Applicants who are not certified paramedics will not be accepted. The following information is provided to give you a helpful overview, along with our expectations and requirements during the recruitment process.
Benefits at the City of Rowlett include:
• TMRS participation 2:1 match
• 10 days of vacation/sick/holiday per year
• Longevity Pay
• Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
• Basic Life/AD&D 2x annual salary
• Long- and Short-Term Disability
• Deferred Compensation
• Employee Assistance Program
1. Online Application – deadline is 7/31/2018
You must upload copies of the following documents as they apply to you:
• Driver’s license
• Social security card
• Texas Department of State Health Services (TDSHS) status verification
• Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) Firefighter certification
*National Registry certifications are also permissible.
Failure to submit these documents with your application as they apply to you may result in disqualification.
2. Written Examination
• Applicants who pass the preliminary background check will receive an email invitation to take the written examination. Only applicants who are invited will be allowed to sit for the examination.
• Candidates will be able to schedule individual dates and times to test, if invited.
• Personal History Statement packets will be issued at the time of the written examination. The packet must be filled out correctly and completely, and need to be returned when you report for the Physical Ability Examination.
3. Physical Agility Examination – tentatively scheduled for 08/21/2018 and 08/22/2018. Please click here for more information.
4. Panel Interview – tentatively scheduled for 08/28/2018 and 08/29/2018
• If you are selected to interview, you will participate in a 20-30 minute interview with a panel of current Firefighters and Fire Officers. Candidates are ranked by the results of this panel.
• Candidates who pass this portion of the recruitment process and who are Paramedics will be given preference throughout the remainder of the process.
5. Background Investigation
• A thorough investigation will be conducted based on the responses from your interview, Personal History Statement packet, and reference checks.
6. In-home Chief’s Interview
• A Chief Officer from the department will interview you in your home.
7. Fire Chief’s 1st Interview
• Interview with the Fire Chief and Assistant Fire Chief
8. Fire Chief’s 2nd Interview
• Original copies of certain documentation must be provided for verification purposes.
• Conditional offer of employment contingent upon medical examination
9. Medical Examination
10. Final offer of employment
Essential Job Functions
Job description statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.
Extinguish fires, provide emergency medical intervention treatment, conduct fire prevention activities and educate public. Assess patient condition, take vital signs, provide basic life support until EMS personnel arrive; perform rescue operations from vehicles, confined spaces, etc; respond to public assistance calls. Suppress chemical, vehicle, building, trash and all other fires; salvage property, respond to hazardous conditions, protect lives by mitigating condition and/or evacuating the area.
Participate in and conduct training to maintain certification; enhance and maintain skills, knowledge of suppression materials, methods and techniques (involves classroom training and live evolutions); study territory and become familiar with streets and property location. Participate in pre-fire planning, prevention and inspection activities; become acquainted with commercial building layouts and chemical storage locations.
Clean and check equipment: air pack, tools, oil, engine fuel levels, pumps, and radio; test and perform preventive maintenance on tools and equipment; clean and maintain facility. Participate in exercise activities to maintain fitness for duty to perform the essential functions of the job. Educate public about fire safety, fire prevention at schools, public functions, health fairs, association meetings, etc. Performs related duties and special projects as assigned. Responsible for regular, on-time attendance.
• Must be at least 18 years of age on the date of the physical fitness examination.
• Must be a U.S. citizen
• Must be registered with the U.S. selective service
• Applicants that are both certified firefighters AND paramedics (certified from the Texas Department of State Health Services) are preferred. Certified or licensed paramedics who do not have firefighter certifications will be accepted as well.
• For out-of-state applicants, you must be registered or have filed with TCFP for fire certifications, and either TDSHS or National Registry for EMT and Paramedic certifications. This must be done by close of the job posting to be permissible.
Must successfully complete all phases of the employment process as scheduled, including the written exam, physical agility test, oral interview, background investigation, and drug screen. A work schedule of 48 hours off, 24 hours on is required. Mandatory holiday and weekend work.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.