Deadline: November 4, 2018
Salary: $48,526.00 – $78,437.00 Annually
Under the supervision of a Fire Department Officer and the direction of emergency room medical personnel, and in compliance with Utah State and Fire Department operating procedures, provides basic and advanced life support and medical care to victims of sudden illness and accident, at the emergency scene, and during transport to an appropriate medical facility. This is a specialized firefighting work performed in accordance with National and Salt Lake City Fire Department performance and training standards.
Written Test – 30%
The FireTEAM test is a video-based testing system that assesses critical skills necessary to be a firefighter and includes the often overlooked content areas of teamwork and human relations as well as mechanical aptitude, reading ability and basic math skills. This will measure Administrative/Technical Competency.
The Department anticipates advancing between 20-40 candidates to the next steps of the process. The department will consider natural breaks and department need in determining the exact number. Those candidates successfully achieving the “pass rate” will advance. In addition, the score from the written test will be included in the successful candidate’s overall score.
Interview – 60%
The interview will evaluate a candidate’s ability to organize and express his/her thoughts, ideas and actions in verbal form. The rating will be a “1 to 5” point anchored scale measured against specific performance dimensions. The interview will measure: Problem Solving; Organizational Skills; Knowledge/Experience; Persuasiveness; and Oral Communication Skills.
Resume – 10%
Candidates will be required to provide a resume to the Interview panel members. The resume will measure: Personal/Professional Development and Written Communication Skills.
- Must be a current firefighter/paramedic with four (4) years’ full time, directly related experience.
- Must have Fire 1 and 2 certifications.
- Must be currently certified as a paramedic in good standing with the Utah Bureau of EMS.
- Successful completion of paramedic training and maintenance of certification as a Utah State Paramedic, including CME attendance and all required testing. Such certification must be maintained in good standing at all times.
- Must satisfy the medical condition requirements of National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Standard 1582.
- Must successfully pass all examinations as required by the Salt Lake City Civil Service Commission which may include background investigation, medical exam and pre-employment drug screen.
- Possession of valid driver license or driving privilege card.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.