Deadline: January 7, 2018
Salary: $4291.18 Per Month
The purpose of this position is to respond to emergencies and perform fire suppression activities, rescue work, hazardous materials response, and basic or advanced life-support emergency medical service.
City of Wausau Fire Department Website:
City of Wausau Fire Department Facebook page:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to fire calls and rescue individuals from emergency situations. Evacuate occupants of burning structures and assist them to safety.
- Respond to fire calls and perform fire suppression, exposure protection, confinement, ventilation, salvage, overhaul operations.
- Maintains a state of readiness of facilities, vehicles, apparatus, and equipment by inspections, cleaning, testing, and maintenance.
- Respond to emergency medical calls and provide service within the constraints of the department’s protocol and up to level of training. Service includes basic and advanced life support.
- Function within an assigned role in an incident management system.
- Participate in drills and attend training exercises in firefighting, fire equipment, hazardous materials, rescue, and emergency medical skills; successfully complete training programs in all phases of duties and responsibilities.
- Perform technical rescues such as confined space, high/low angle, extrication and ice/water.
- Respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials and work within the level of training in operations, technician, or specialist positions.
- Perform fire prevention and public education programs including public speaking and conducting classes in such topics as fire extinguisher usage, fire drills, and CPR/first aid.
- Interact with the public performing essential non-emergency duties such as fire prevention inspections, public fire education, and injury prevention education.
- Respond to non-emergency calls for assistance and safely perform assigned functions required to assist the public, including but not limited to providing information, lifting assistance, and pest removal.
- Perform routine maintenance and janitorial duties on buildings and grounds of the fire department.
- Perform inspection, maintenance, and cleaning on all emergency and non-emergency equipment and apparatus. Perform general maintenance work and upkeep of fire department property, facilities, equipment, apparatus and vehicles as directed.
- Participate in the department’s wellness program.
- Perform related work as required.
- High School Diploma or GED/HSED
- Minimum age 18
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
- Nationally Registered and State of Wisconsin licensed EMT-Paramedic (must be Nationally Registered for offer of employment)
- Hazardous Materials Operation Certification
- Associate Degree (Fire Science, Fire Protection, Paramedic, or related field preferred) or Firefighter II certification (WTCS Board or IFSAC Accredited) with a minimum of 50 college level credits (Fire Science or related field preferred)
- CPAT certification within the last 12 months from anticipated hire date of May 2018
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to drive and operate fire apparatus, ambulances, and other department vehicles; properly utilize equipment for extrication of persons trapped in vehicles or buildings.
- Maintain knowledge of streets, addresses, water supply and pre-plans within the City of Wausau.
- Thorough knowledge of all firefighting and emergency techniques and procedures authorized by the Wausau Fire Department.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and non-verbally, written or electronic. Specifically, having the ability to accurately document fire reports, fire prevention inspection reports and patient care reports.
- Ability to keep accurate records and use state of the art technology.
- Ability to read and interpret technical written materials, codes, ordinances and standards.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, the public and City personnel.
- Physical ability and endurance to efficiently and effectively perform strenuous physical labor in threatening and stressful situations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain certifications and licensure as required by the position and the department.
- Ability to recognize and protect possible evidence at a fire scene and assist in determining origin and cause.
- Thorough knowledge of the uses, maintenance requirements and locations of all firefighting and emergency equipment, tools, and apparatus used by the department.
Physical and Working Environment
Significant physical demands typically found in heavy industry or construction work, and with significant exposure to workplace hazards. Position requires regular and frequent lifting, moving, bending, twisting, and turning.
Significant and frequent exposure to disagreeable and environmental conditions which typically requires the use of extensive or specialized clothing and/or personal protective equipment is normal for the position.
IMPORTANT! All applications must completely filled out and have a Cover Letter and Resume attached in the “Attachments” section of the application. Applications that are not complete and do not have the required attachments will not be considered.
Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications for this position will be invited to participate in a Written Test on Monday, January 29, 2018. For candidates advancing in the recruitment process, the following steps may be involved up to the point of hire: written exam, oral interviews, background check, psychological evaluation, medical examination, and drug/alcohol screening.
The on-duty week of all employees who perform firefighting duties shall be an average of not more than 56 hours. The normal schedule is: 1-On-duty, 1-Off, 1-On-duty, 1-Off, 1-On-duty, 4-Off. The on-duty day begins at 6:45 a.m. and ends the following day at 6:45 a.m. and consists of 24 hours.
The starting monthly salary for the Firefighter/Paramedic position is $4291.18 according to the current Wausau Firefighter Association Local 415, IAFF, AFL-CIO and CLC Labor Agreement.
Salary increases occur after 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 10 years of employment as a Firefighter/Paramedic.
The City of Wausau will make arrangements to furnish appropriate auxiliary aids and services where necessary and reasonable to afford an individual with a disability the opportunity to participate in the recruitment process. Please notify the Human Resources Department or phone (715) 261-6630 to request special accommodations prior to the application deadline.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Wisconsin Statutes, Sections 19.36 (7), 64.09 (5), and 64.11 (7) require public employers to treat the following items as a public record: Each applicant’s application, records, recommendations and qualifications except as provided in Section 19.36 (7), Wis. Stats. that allows the identity of an applicant to remain confidential if the applicant requests in writing that the City not provide access to this information.
If you choose not to have this information become a public record, you must make such a request in writing to the Human Resources Department. If you become a finalist for the position, your identity may be disclosed as required by law.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.