Deadline: June 23, 2017
Salary: $4,673.99 – $6,806.17 Monthly
PURPOSE: The Paramedic/Firefighter/ Equipment Operator performs duties in support of the functions of the Brookfield Fire Department including, fire suppression, emergency medical services, public education, fire prevention, training, and maintenance activities. This position is also responsible for operating assigned apparatus in an efficient, safe manner and performing advanced emergency medical care to ensure that emergencies are resolved promptly.
Examples of Duties
- Provides basic and advanced life support services in accordance with standards of care.
- Assists in cleaning and maintaining of apparatus quarters, building, equipment, grounds and other related work areas.
- Efficiently operates all Department apparatus at the scene of an emergency.
- Promotes the rapid extinguishing of the fire or the resolution of the emergency.
- Performs hazardous material assessment, containment and cleanup within the scope of training.
- Performs preventative maintenance on fire apparatus and department equipment.
- Makes good decisions based on City policy’s, standard operating guidelines, training and experience to resolve problems, care for patients, suppress fires, preform rescue and mitigate hazards.
- Researches and evaluates the department services and effectiveness and provides recommendations to improve operations.
- Chooses methods and work procedures that are cost effective, while maintaining a high quality of service.
- Promotes and maintains positive departmental public relations with other City department staff, officials, and the community in general.
- Responds to, resolves or refers public inquiries.
- Provides public education related to fire and life safety.
- Develops and presents public education programs.
- Responds or refers complaints.
- Provides code enforcement duties as assigned.
- Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.
- Valid Wisconsin or International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) certification as a Firefighter II at the time of application and throughout employment.An official copy of the Firefighter II certification must accompany the application.
- Hazardous material operations training.A copy of training completion must accompany the application.
- Valid Wisconsin license as an Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (EMT-P) at the time of application and throughout employment.An official copy of the Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic (EMT-P) license must accompany the application.
- Wisconsin Technical College Driver Operator Pumper training completion or certification.A copy of training completion must accompany the application.
- Valid driver’s license at time of application.Possession of a valid WI driver’s license at the time of the background investigation and throughout employment.A photocopy of the driver’s license (both sides) must accompany the application.
- Availability to work a 24 hour, rotational shift.
- Associate’s Degree in Fire Science or emergency related field preferred.C
- Completion National Incident Management System 100, 200, 700 and 800. (May be completed during probationary period.)
- Aerial training completion or certification. (Must be completed within 3 years of employment.)
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job-related and will consist of a written examination, physical ability test, oral examination and job trait assessment. The Department of Human Resources reserves the right to invite only the most qualified candidates to the physical ability, oral examination and job trait assessment. Candidates who have successfully passed all these selection tests and are offered employment will be required to take a medical examination and drug screen. Candidates must successfully complete all components of the selection process in order to be hired. The eligible list created as a result of this selection process may remain in effect for up to two (2) years. Candidates who pass the written examination but are not invited to the physical ability, oral examination and/or job trait assessment may be invited to participate in these components of the selection process at a later date, depending on the needs of the City of Brookfield Fire Department.
Anticipated Written Examination Dates*: Wednesday, July 12th; Thursday, July 13th; Friday, July 14th; Saturday, July 15th; and Sunday, July 16th. The written examination is NOT the Wisconsin Personnel Partners exam.
Anticipated Oral Examination Dates*: Week of August 28, 2017.
*Dates and times may be adjusted based on scheduling availability.
Candidates who will be unavailable for one or more portions of the examination due to military service or training must provide written notification to the Human Resources Department within a reasonable period of time prior to the date of the examination component.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POINTS will be awarded in accordance with current State Statutes and Commission rules. The DD214 form is required at the time of application.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.