Deadline: April 15, 2016
The Aurora Fire Department is looking for candidates with current or recent Public Safety experience. If you are motivated, self-directed, in good physical condition and believe in honor, duty and integrity, the Aurora Fire Department can offer you a career like no other. Examples of Duties:
1 Responds to fire, rescue and emergency medical calls for service including providing fire suppression, emergency medical treatment, and assistance to technical rescue teams as assigned
2 Responds to and stabilizes incident area in hazardous materials incidents
3 Designates and establishes safe medical treatment area for the assessment, treatment, stabilization and transportation of patients according to medical protocol and level of emergency medical certification
4 Participates in training to maintain and upgrade current physical fitness, fire fighting and emergency medical skills
5 Cleans, maintains, and inspects apparatus and equipment checks every shift
6 Cleans, maintains and performs duties related to the maintenance and repair of fire station facility and equipment
7 Responds to requests for public assistance for moving invalids, welfare checks, smoke and Carbon Monoxide monitor checks, blood pressure, first aid standby and bomb threats
8 Provides fire safety, prevention, health assessments, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid training in the public schools or to other community groups upon request
9 Resolves routine problems encountered in performance of work assignments
10 Performs other related duties as assigned
11 For more information visit the AFD recruiting website.
In accordance with the City Charter, Article III, Section 3-16, paragraph (10), the Civil Service Commission establishes the following conditions and regulations which shall apply to Lateral-entry appointment:
At the time of application, unless otherwise noted, applicants for lateral-entry appointment to Civil Service fire and police positions shall: (Note: copies of original documents must be provided by a deadline announced when testing begins).
- Be at least twenty-one (21) years old by time of Training Academy start date. Proof will be either a copy of state or municipality-issued original Birth Certificate, Passport of the United States of America, or evidence of Naturalization.
- Be a citizen of the United States of America. Proof of citizenship will be either a copy of a state or municipality-issued original Birth Certificate, Passport of the United States of America, or evidence of Naturalization.
- Have completed a minimum education of high school completion, or GED equivalency. Proof will be a copy of the High School Diploma, copy of the GED Certificate, or successful completion letter from an accredited school’s Principal or District Superintendent, or other documentation approved by the Commission.
- For Police applicants only: Have three (3) years previous related experience in good standing within the four (4) year period immediately preceding the application. Related experience shall consist of full-time paid employment as a Police Officer in a full service Police department. For Fire Applicants only: Have three (3) years paid related experience in good standing within the four (4) year period at the time of application.
- Be able to perform the essential functions of the position.
All applicants who meet the minimum qualifications established by the Civil Service Commission shall form the unranked pool of qualified individuals. This will then end the Civil Service Commission’s involvement in the Lateral program and begin the involvement by the Chiefs of the respective Departments. Qualified individuals in the unranked pool shall then be subject to appropriate testing by the Chiefs of the respective Departments, which may include, but not necessarily consist of a medical, background, polygraph and psychological examinations. The Chiefs of the respective Departments may, at their sole discretion, select qualified individuals from the remaining unranked pool of individuals. No person can remain on the lateral entry appointment list for more than two (2) years without reapplication.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.