Lateral Firefighter/EMT or Paramedic
Deadline: April 23, 2017
Firefighter EMT – $7,124.69 – $8,748.13 Monthly / $85,496.32 – $104,977.60 Annually
Firefighter/Paramedic – $7,782.32 – $9,556.21 Monthly / $93,387.84 – $114,674.56 Annually
(Laterals will be hired at Step 2 or greater depending on experience and qualifications).
The City of Palo Alto is pleased to invite applicants for an exciting opportunity to join the Palo Alto Fire Department (PAFD) as a Lateral Firefighter or Lateral Firefighter Paramedic. PAFD serves the City of Palo Alto and Stanford University with 117 sworn and civilian staff. The City of Palo Alto is proud to be one of the few municipalities that provide hospital transport. With 6 fire stations and 1 seasonal wildland station, PAFD serves approximately 26 square miles with a fleet of 6 Engines, 1 Truck and 3 Ambulances. Call volume is approximately 8,000 calls per year, of which 5,200 are medical-related calls.
PAFD demonstrates its excellence by consistently meeting response targets of 90% of EMS calls within 8 minutes and 90% of Paramedic calls within 12 minutes. The most recent City Performance Report based on the National Citizen Survey indicated exceptionally high ratings for PAFD. Survey respondents reported PAFD as “good to excellent” with ratings of 96% for Fire and 97% for Ambulance/EMS.
For a detailed job description click below:
Firefighter EMT – http://agency.governmentjobs.com/paloaltoca/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&classSpecID=789112&agency=2138&viewOnly=yes
Firefighter Paramedic – http://agency.governmentjobs.com/paloaltoca/default.cfm?action=viewclassspec&classSpecID=789113&agency=2138&viewOnly=yes
To view the PAFD values, click here – http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/gov/depts/fir/overview/default.asp
- Experience – three years serving in a full time paid Fire Department as a Firefighter EMT or Paramedic.
- Age – 21 at time of hire
- Education – High School or GED
- Vision – 20/30-20/40 Corrected
- Drivers’ License – California Class C; satisfactory driving record
- For Paramedic applicants – Valid California Paramedic License and National Registry Paramedic Certification Card
- CPR – Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate
OVERVIEW OF THE EMPLOYMENT PROCESS
- Application Screening – candidates who successfully complete the application screening will be invited to complete a Personal History Questionnaire.
- Personal History Questionnaire – The PHQ is an online pre-employment Background Questionnaire. The Fire Department may use questionnaire as a screening tool.
- Oral Board Interviews – Tentatively scheduled for June 12-16, 2017. Not all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are invited to the Oral Board Interviews. The most qualified applicants on the basis of the application process and PHQ will be advanced to an oral board interview.
- Chief’s Interviews – Candidates who successfully complete the Oral Board Interviews will be invited to a Command Staff Interview to be held in July 2017.
- Conditional Offer – Background Investigation, Psychological, Pre-employment Medical/Drug Screening
- Formal Offer of Employment
- Fire Academy (Approximately 16 Weeks), scheduled to begin October 2017 (Laterals may be eligible to only go through an abbreviated academy)
- Probation (24 Months)
- Confirmation as Regular Status Firefighter/Paramedic
Your online application and attachments must be submitted by the closing date. Incomplete or late materials are disqualifying. To submit your application, you must complete your candidate profile online at governmentjobs.com. Your complete application must include:
- Online Application – The online application, including all supplemental questions, must be completed in its entirety. The application is the first step of the screening/examination process, so it is important to provide relevant information such as experience, education, training and work history. You may upload a resume and cover letter as optional information, but the resume and cover letter do not substitute for the online application.
- Essay Question: The online application includes an essay question. You may write your essay directly into the response field in the supplemental questionnaire section of your application, or you may write the essay in a separate electronic document and then copy/paste your text into that supplemental questionnaire field. The essay question is as follows
“PAFD seeks applicants who will be role models in the community and who will exemplify the Department’s spirit of inclusiveness in serving the Palo Alto community. In 200 words or fewer, describe your past or present community involvement, leadership roles, or other experiences that may assist you in providing services to a diverse population.”
- Valid California Drivers’ License – Upload a copy of your California Drivers’ License
- For Paramedic applicants – Valid Paramedic Card – Upload a copy of your paramedic card
- Valid CPR Card – Upload a copy of your CPR card
To Submit an Online Application: governmentjobs.com
For Technical Assistance with governmentjobs.com – 1-855-524-5627 (M-F 8am to 5pm)
Disability Accommodation Requests – Human Resources (650) 329-2376
PAFD Email for General Questions – Firejob@cityofpaloalto.org
Recruitment Liaisons – http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/gov/depts/fir/overview/job_opportunities/
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.