DEPUTY FIRE CHIEF
Brooklyn Center is looking to fill the position of Deputy Fire Chief.
Examples of Duties:
- Direct and assign manpower and other resources for fire suppression activities
- Review and evaluate personnel assigned to the department
- Establish operational plans and policies for the department
- Develop short and long-range plans for the department
- Coordinate the processing of all emergency call reports and Minnesota Fire Incident Reporting (MFIRS) on all fire losses
- Direct the establishment and maintenance of all records and record retention schedule compliance
- Write routine correspondence and reports
- Review effectiveness of organization, services and programs.
- Assist in developing fire department/department/program data necessary for budget preparation and monitoring compliance with approved budget
- Determine Fire department resource needs (human, material, space and capital outlays)
- Monitor and control Fire department budget and expenses
- Identify and evaluate vendor/consultant products or services
- Obtain and review bids, quotes or proposals
- Place orders with vendor/consultants for supplies, materials, or services
- Respond to emergency calls of multi-station response
- Assess emergency scenes, determine needs/resources of manpower and equipment
- Provides command during major emergency incidents
- Brief jurisdiction officials, press, and public on emergency operations activities
- Initiate fire investigation activities
- Communicate with victims, witnesses, or survivors
- Supervise the coordination of existing and new preplan drawings for updating preplan books
- Participate in training activities such as field exercises, fire prevention practices, firefighting equipment, new construction materials and fire/emergency services training and education requirements
- Participate in training activities for Emergency Management to maintain certification
- Keep current with changes in fire and building codes, fire prevention practices, firefighting equipment, new construction materials and fire/emergency services training and education requirements
- Coordinate with the Emergency Management Director to develop and maintain the Cityâ€™s Emergency Preparedness Plan, as Emergency Preparedness Deputy Director
- Advises Departments on their Emergency Plans and coordinates interdepartmental activities
- Designs and administers exercises to prepare City staff for effective response to major emergencies and disasters as determined by the Fire Chief
Â Minimum Qualifications:
- Two year degree in Fire Science, Fire Service Management or related field.
- Successful completion of Fire Officer Training.
- Five years related supervisory experience in the fire service.
- Valid Minnesota Driverâ€™s License with a good driving record.
Â Supplemental Information:
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, Fire Administration, Public Administration, Public Safety Administration or related field.
- State certified Emergency Manager.
- Certification in National Executive Fire Officer Program.
- Ability to speak, read or write any language other than English, including sign language.