Work as a federally qualified ENGB on a WDS fire engine to meet insured client needs while working safely and effectively.
The Engine Boss reports directly to the Assistant Fire Officers.
The Engine Boss position may be stationed in their home state, with frequent travel required to meet client needs.
Position Type / Expected Hours of Work:
This is an hourly, full-time seasonal position.
Position hours fluctuate as needed to meet changing conditions, deadlines, client contract, and operation requirements.
Benefits (if applicable) – After 90 days
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Vacation: Accrual based on State worked in.
- Sick Time: Accrual based on State worked in.
Responsibilities / Essential Functions:
- ENGB assignments for wildfire response on dedicated engine or on-demand engine within operational area.
- Ensure that WDS wildfire operations are conducted in accordance with the safety requirements and protocols defined in NWCG 310-1, PMS 410-1, PMS 461 and other applicable state wildfire codes, as well as WDS contracted scope of services to insurer clients. Operational area to be multi-state, based out of Bozeman, MT. Coordinates with Incident Command, other officials and client customers.
- ENGB assignments for dedicated engine service within operational area.
- Engine patrol while on dedicated service tour
- Monitoring of wildfire activity within tour region
- Wildfire hazard assessment site visits/inspections as scheduled during dedicated service
- Presentation of insurer response service, including demonstrations of tactics, to client agencies, representatives, etc., and local fire officials, as assigned
- Have a detailed understanding of the requirements of all programs for which Response is provided, using the WDS Field Book.
Must be ICS qualified at the minimum Engine Boss level. Will be required to accept wildfire assignments as Engine Boss. Must be proficient with computers, digital cameras, scanners and other miscellaneous electronic equipment. Must have some public speaking skills.
Physical Demands: Must pass an Aurdous Pack Test with a 45lb pack walking 3 miles in under 45 minutes. Must be able to possess a DOT drivers physical.
Experience and Education:
All NWCG required training and certifications as a ENGB
Satisfactory performance as an Engine Boss, Single Resource (ENGB) on a wildfire incident.
PHYSICAL FITNESS LEVEL Arduous
The following positions maintain currency for ENGB:
Division/Group Supervisor (DIVS) Incident Commander Type 3 (ICT3) Incident Commander Type 4 (ICT4) Operations Section Chief Type 3, Wildland Fire (OPS3) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 1 (RXB1) Prescribed Fire Burn Boss Type 2 (RXB2) Safety Officer, Line (SOFR) Single Resource Boss including (CRWB, FELB, FIRB, HMGB, HEQB) Strike Team Leader Engine (STEN) Task Force Leader (TFLD) ENGB
- High attention to detail
- Self – managed and directed, able to proactively carry out responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Composure during high stress situations
- Professional appearance, demeanor and manners