Five students were injured when gas ignited while they heated hot chocolate during a cooking class at Northside College Prep High School this morning, officials said.
The most seriously injured student was taken to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center in serious condition with facial and arm burns, Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said. Another student was taken in good-to-fair condition to Illinois Masonic.
Two students with minor burns were taken in fair-to-serious condition to Swedish Covenant Hospital. A fifth student who was injured declined to be taken to a hospital.
The explosion occurred around 10:35 a.m. at the school at 5501 N. Kedzie Ave. Sprinklers put the fire out, Langford said.
An EMS Plan I, which automatically sends at least six ambulances to the scene, was secured at 11:11 a.m.
Students were evacuated after the explosion, police said. They lined up on the sidewalk in front of the school as they waited for officials to clear the building.
firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ | Twitter:@ChicagoBreaking