|ELKHORN AREA FIRE DEPARTMENT
Full-time Paramedic/Firefighter Employment Opportunity
The Elkhorn Area Fire Department is currently seeking applicants to fill thirteen (13) full-time positions. We are seeking
goal oriented, motivated persons with a strong desire to serve our community.
The Elkhorn Area Fire Department located in Walworth County, Southeastern Wisconsin, is a progressive department that
has the largest response area for a municipal fire department in Walworth County. The department responds to
approximately 1,800 EMS calls and 450 Fire calls annually in the City of Elkhorn and Towns of Geneva, Lafayette and Sugar
Creek. The department currently operates at the Advanced EMT level but is in the process of upgrading to the Paramedic
level. The department relies on Paid on Premise (POP) (full-time) and Paid on Call (POC) staffing for call response. The
primary duties of the staff are to respond to 911 calls for emergency Fire and EMS services. The department is also
responsible for providing Fire and EMS Service to multiple scheduled events in their response area. This position will also
perform other duties as assigned by the Fire Chief.
• Successful applicants will be assigned to a shift that is in the best interest of the department. When fully staffed, all
staff will be assigned to a standard 56-hour work week on a 24 on/48 off work schedule. Until that time, the
department may choose not to assign staff to a 24-hour shift and instead to a 40 hour work week.
• Competitive wage and benefit package are available.
Required Licenses and Certifications
• The qualified candidate will be Wisconsin licensed as a Paramedic AND Wisconsin certified as a Firefighter 1, or
higher. Additional Fire certifications are desirable. (Will consider Advanced EMT/Firefighter 1 with experience and
interested in becoming licensed as a Paramedic.)
• The qualified candidate must possess a valid State of Wisconsin driver’s license with a clean driving record.
• All applicants will be required to pass a written exam and department offered physical agility test. A current CPAT
certification will be accepted in lieu of the physical agility test.
• Applicants will have a driving record and criminal background review completed.
• Applicants successful in the testing process will be invited to the interview process that will consist of two separate
• Applicants offered a position will be required to undergo an occupational health and drug screening prior to hire.
How To Apply
Application packets can be picked up at the Elkhorn Fire Station at 13 S. Broad St. or on-line at
http://www.cityofelkhorn.org. Completed applications and all other required documents MUST be mailed to: Elkhorn Area
Fire Department, Attention: Fire Chief P.O. Box 433 Elkhorn, WI 53121. Any questions can be directed to Fire Chief Rod
Smith at (262) 723-2277 or EMS Division Chief David J. Fladten at (262) 903-1472.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED AT ELKHORN FIRE DEPARTMENT BY FRIDAY DECEMBER 18, 2020 TO BE
CONSIDERED IN FIRST ROUND OF HIRING.