Woman in critical condition after Indianapolis Fire
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) â€” A womanÂ was taken to the hospital Friday morning after a fire on the north side of Indianapolis.
Firefighters were called to a home in the 6500 block of Caroline Avenue around 7:30 a.m. This is near East 65th Street and North Keystone Avenue.
When crews arrived they spoke with a man who said he lived there with his wife. He said when he was cooking breakfast he heard a loud pop and then saw smoke. The man said he and his wife evacuated, got into their car, and backed out the driveway.
The man said he tried to go back in the house but the smoke was too thick. He said when he got back to the car his wifeâ€™s condition had deteriorated. Emergency personnel transported herÂ to a local hospital in critical condition.
The man told firefighters he thinks the fire started in a bedroom that had a working oxygen tank plugged in. He thinks the fire was electrical and started near an outlet, but crews are investigating.
Damages are estimated at $85,000. Officials say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
Tagged with: house fire IFD Indianapolis Indianapolis Fire Department Indianapolis Firefighters Structure Fire